Xandr, Inc. (pronounced "Xander") is the advertising and analytics division of AT&T, which operates an online platform, called Community, for buying and selling consumer-centric digital advertising.
|Formerly||AT&T Advertising and Analytics (2018)|
|Founded||September 25, 2018|
New York City, New York,
|Mike Welch (EVP & GM)|
Ben John (CTO)
|Revenue||$2,022 million (2019)|
Rumors and speculation spread in 2020 that AT&T was seeking to sell and offload Xandr, along with DirecTV and Crunchyroll. The reasoning is twofold: first, AT&T took on immense debt to purchase WarnerMedia, and any non-core asset sales would help pay off that debt burden. Secondly, Xandr was inherently compromised by its association with AT&T and HBO MAX, as many would-be advertisers were reluctant to use what is essentially a competitor for their ad buys, and as such it might be more lucrative on its own.
On May 17, 2021, it was announced that WarnerMedia would be merged with Discovery, Inc. to form a new publicly traded company known as Warner Bros. Discovery, but that the Xandr business would not be included in the transaction and would remain a division of AT&T.
Xandr is led by Mike Welch, after the departure in March 2020 by former GroupM North America CEO Brian Lesser, who was appointed chief executive officer of AT&T advertising and analytics in 2017. Kirk McDonald, who served as interim CEO following Lesser's departure, moved to GroupM, a subsidiary of WPP, in August 2020.
In May 2019, Xandr launched Community, its new video marketplace that connects advertisers, publishers, and consumer media brands, including AT&T's WarnerMedia platforms: CNN, TNT, TruTV, B/R Live, and Otter Media. Other media on the Community platform includes Vice Media, Hearst Communications, Newsy, Philo, Tubi, and Xumo, Vudu, and Bloomberg.
The fee-transparent, consumer-centric Xandr advertising model combines data, AT&T’s newly acquired WarnerMedia content, AppNexus, and other proprietary advertising technology, to integrate with AT&T’s consumer network, creating the first personalized advertising of its kind, with different commercials being delivered to different viewers simultaneously.
- "Xandr Leadership Team". xandr.com. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
- "2019 AT&T EARNINGS Xandr Segment" (PDF). AT&T. p. 25.
- Rifilato, Tony. "AT&T Will Hold On To Xandr As It Relinquishes WarnerMedia". adexchanger.com. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
- "AT&T Putting All Programmatic Digital Ad Spending with Xandr Move adds scale to AppNexus platform" by Jon Lafayette; Broadcasting Cable; February 11, 2019. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- "AT&T’s Xandr Officially Combines Its TV Ad Biz With The AppNexus Digital Ad Platform" by Rae Paoletta; Ad Exchanger; November 29, 2018. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- "AT&T Ad Unit Now Called ‘Xandr’ in Nod to Alexander Graham Bell" by Scott Moritz and Lucas Shaw; Bloomberg; September 25, 2018. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- "AT&T Launches New Advertising Company, Xandr"; AT&T; September 25, 2018. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- Mariel Soto Reyes (June 12, 2019). "The Relevance Conference Santa Barbara, a leadership series presented by Xandr, an AT&T unit". Business insider. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- Dang, Sheila (June 10, 2019). "The AT&T's Xandr launches ad-buying platform for premium content". Reuters. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- "XANDR ACQUIRES CLYPD IN MOVE TO BUILD CONNECTED TV EMPIRE Ad Age; October 18, 2019. Accessed October 21, 2019.]
- Dang, Sheila (October 17, 2019). "AT&T's Xandr purchases TV advertising company clypd: source". Reuters. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- "GroupM North America CEO Brian Lesser to Depart for AT&T Role" by Alexandra Bruell; The Wall Street Journal; August 4, 2017. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- Steinberg, Brian (August 18, 2020). "Kirk McDonald Will Become North American CEO of GroupM". variety.com. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
- "Xandr To Launch 'Community' Marketplace, Enhanced Addressable TV Offerings" by Alex Weprin; Digital News Daily; May 14, 2019. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- Joseph, Seb (July 1, 2019). "AT&T's Xandr has ambitious European expansion plans". DIGIDAY. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- "AT&T’s Xandr Unveils Community, Its Long-Awaited Video Marketplace" by Patrick Kulp; Ad Week; May 14, 2019. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- "Xandr introduces ad marketplace, dubbed Community, during upfronts" by Jeanine Poggi; May 14, 2019. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- Lafayette, Jon (September 23, 2019). "One Year In, Xandr Still Pushing for Relevant Ads". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- "AppNexus Reworks Publisher Contracts To Enable Fee Transparency For Buyers" by Sarah Sluis; Ad Exchanger; December 11, 2018. Accessed May 21, 2019.
- "AT&T Pushes Xandr Ad Products in Viacom Carriage Talks" by Alexandra Bruell; The Wall Street Journal; March 25, 2019. Accessed May 21, 2019. On March 11, 2020 CEO Brian Lesser resigned. On April 30, 2020 AT&T announced that Warner Media and Xandr would be merged.
- Steinberg, Brian (December 10, 2019). "AT&T's Xandr Works for Closer Ties With WarnerMedia". Variety. Retrieved December 13, 2019.