Virgin Radio UK
Virgin Radio UK is a national Hot Adult Contemporary radio station in the United Kingdom that launched on 30 March 2016, owned by Wireless Group which is itself a subsidiary of News Corp. It is the second incarnation of Virgin Radio in the UK: the original station launched in 1993 before being rebranded as Absolute Radio in 2008.
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom|
|Format||Hot Adult Contemporary|
First air date
|30 March 2016|
The station launched at 11:00 on 30 March 2016 on a Virgin Trains service from Manchester to London by Edith Bowman and Matt Richardson and the first song played was a live cover version of David Bowie's song "Changes" by Gavin James.
At launch, Virgin Radio UK broadcast to about 75% of the UK population via the Sound Digital DAB ensemble, and also broadcasts via online streaming to computers, mobile device applications and internet radios. It cannot be received outside of the UK.
The broadcasts are presented live from 04:00 to 01:00, and then music is played back-to-back overnight with pre-recorded announcements from rotating presenters from the day.
On 3 September 2018, Chris Evans announced that from January 2019 he would be moving to Virgin Radio after 13 years of broadcasting on BBC Radio 2. He launched his new breakfast show on 21 January 2019.
On 7 January 2019, Virgin Radio joined the Sky and Freesat satellite platforms.
Wireless launched two new Virgin-branded DAB+ spin-offs stations – Virgin Radio Anthems and Virgin Radio Chilled – on 21 December 2018. Virgin Radio Anthems plays guitar-based classics from the 80s and 90s. Virgin Radio Chilled features acoustic singer-songwriters and is designed to unwind and relax. Both stations broadcast The Chris Evans Breakfast Show. When Virgin Anthems launched in December 2018, the station changed its slogan to "The Chris Evans Breakfast Show and Classic Tracks".
On 30 December 2019, Virgin Radio UK launched a third digital spin-off station – Virgin Radio Groove – on DAB+. It consists of motown, soul and disco music and broadcasts The Chris Evans Breakfast Show at breakfast.
In June 2021 a temporary station launched for the LGBTQ+ community, Virgin Pride, to run until mid-September. It features many different programmes and documentaries presented by a wide variety of talented presenters.
- "18 radio stations confirmed for new DAB multiplex". Radio Today. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Gallivan, Rory (25 June 2016). "News Corp Buys Wireless Group for $296 Million". The Wall Street Journal. New York. Retrieved 16 November 2020.
- Clarkson, Natalie (16 March 2016). "Virgin Radio UK reveals launch plans" (Press release). Virgin Radio. Archived from the original on 24 October 2016.
- Savage, Mark (3 September 2018). "Chris Evans to leave Radio 2 breakfast". BBC News. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Chris Evans launches new Virgin Radio breakfast show". BBC News. 22 January 2019.
- "Virgin Radio added to Freesat and Sky platforms". Radio Today. 8 January 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Graham Norton joins Virgin Radio UK for weekends". RadioToday. 16 November 2020. Retrieved 12 September 2021.
- "Virgin Radio UK launches two new digital spin-offs". Radio Today. 21 December 2018. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Wireless launches LGBTQ+ station Virgin Radio Pride UK". RadioToday. 3 June 2021. Retrieved 12 September 2021.