United Kingdom Independent Broadcasting
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
United Kingdom Independent Broadcasting (UKIB) is an affiliation of three British independent television production companies and broadcasters. The primary function of its predecessor, the Independent Television Companies Association (ITCA), was to represent independent British television interests as a member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). The current members of UKIB are the ITV network centre, the 17 ITV companies, Channel 4, and S4C.
|Predecessor||Independent Television Companies Association (ITCA)|
|Type||Affiliation of broadcasters|
|ITV, Channel 4, S4C|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2021)
UKIB was formed in 1981, when the Association of Independent Radio Contractors (AIRC) was admitted as an active member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). It replaced the Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA), formerly the Independent Television Authority (ITA) as the second British EBU member.
Once ITCA was admitted as a fully active EBU member, the AIRC joined with UKIB to form the Commercial Radio Companies Association (CRCA) in June 1996. In July 2006, it merged with the Radio Advertising Bureau to form Radiocentre, the industry body for UK commercial radio. Following the merger, CRCA cancelled its EBU membership.
|Service name||Broadcast area||Licence holder||Broadcast Since[Note 1]||Parent company||EBU abbreviation|
|United Kingdom, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man||ITV Network Limited||1955||ITV plc
STV Group plc
|ITV (Channel 3) companies|
|ITV Anglia||East of England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1959||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/ANG|
|ITV Border||England–Scotland border||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1961||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/BTV|
|ITV Central||Midlands[Note 2]||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1956||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/CEN|
|ITV Channel Television||Channel Islands||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1962||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/CHA|
|ITV Granada||North West England[Note 3] and Isle of Man[Note 4]||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1956||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/GRA|
|ITV London (Carlton)||London Weekday||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1955||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/LDN|
|ITV London (LWT)||London Weekend||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1955||ITV plc|
|ITV Meridian||South and South East England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1958||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/MER|
|ITV Tyne Tees||North East England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1959||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/TTT|
|ITV Wales||Wales||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1958||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/WALES|
|ITV West||West of England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1958||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/WEST|
|ITV West Country||South West England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1961||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/WES|
|ITV Yorkshire||Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, and North Norfolk||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1956||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/YTV|
|STV Central||Central Scotland||STV Central Limited||1957||STV Group plc||UKIB/STV|
|STV North||North of Scotland||STV North Limited||1961||STV Group plc||UKIB/STVN|
|UTV||Northern Ireland||UTV Limited||1959||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/UTV|
|Channel 4||England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland[Note 5]||Channel 4||1982||Channel Four Television Corporation||UKIB/C4|
|S4C||Wales||Sianel 4 Cymru/Channel 4 Wales||1982||S4C Authority||UKIB/S4C|
Besides the main ITV, Channel 4, and S4C channels, there are several digital-only channels (ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, CITV and ITVBe) owned by ITV plc and E4, More4, Film4, 4seven and 4Music operated by Channel 4.
Eurovision Song ContestEdit
The United Kingdom's entries in the Eurovision Song Contest have been entered by the BBC each time. However, the United Kingdom's Junior Eurovision Song Contest entries were broadcast and entered by ITV in 2003, 2004, and 2005. S4C announced on 9 May 2018 that Wales would debut at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2018 held in Minsk, Belarus.
Notes and referencesEdit
- First broadcast in that region and not since the first franchises were held
- Up to 1968, the service for the Midlands region was provided by ATV for Monday to Friday and by ABC Television for weekends.
- Up to 1968, the service for a single Northern area consisting of both the current North West region and most of the current Yorkshire region was provided by Granada Television for Monday to Friday and by ABC Television for weekends.
- Coverage was transferred from ITV Border and Tyne Tees to ITV Granada following digital switch-over in the Isle of Man in July 2009.
- Now available in Wales but is designated for the rest of the United Kingdom
- Barnard, Stephen (2000). Studying Radio. London: Arnold. p. 76. ISBN 9780340719664.
- "Facts - History". May 31, 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-05-31.
- "european-broadcasting-union-ebu-directory-cullen-international". yumpu.com.
- "2007 EBU Directory". May 21, 2018 – via Internet Archive.
- "Channel 3 (ITV)". Ofcom. Retrieved 27 September 2007.
- "Chwilio am Seren". junioreurovision.cymru. S4C. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.