Thinkin' Problem (song)
"Thinkin' Problem" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer David Ball. Ball co-wrote the song with Allen Shamblin and Stuart Ziff. It was released in March 1994 as the lead-off single and title track from his album Thinkin' Problem. The song reached number 2 on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart, and number 1 on Canada's RPM country chart. It also earned Ball a nomination for the Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance at the 37th Annual Grammy Awards in 1995.
|Single by David Ball|
|from the album Thinkin' Problem|
|B-side||"Down at the Bottom of a Broken Heart"|
|Released||March 28, 1994|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville|
|David Ball singles chronology|
"Thinkin' Problem" is a moderate up-tempo with electric guitar, pedal steel guitar, and fiddle flourishes. In it, the male narrator states that he has a "thinkin' problem" (meant as a play on the term "drinking problem") because he is constantly thinking about his former significant other despite numerous attempts to quit. The song begins with the famous phrase "Yes I admit, I've got a thinkin' problem", with the final syllable of the word "admit" drawn out.
The music video was directed by O Pictures and premiered in early 1994.
Rick Cohoon of Allmusic gave the song a mixed review, saying that it "is the fuel that ignited Ball's launch into stardom" but that "he tends to over-nasalize to the point of annoyance." Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably calling it a "perfect combination of retro sensibility and '90s production, and a pure honky-tonk delight."
"Thinkin' Problem" debuted at number 72 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of April 16, 1994.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||40|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||18|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||71|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 39. ISBN 978-0-89820-177-2.
- Cohoon, Rick. "David Ball - "Thinkin' Problem"". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Billboard, April 2, 1994
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2541." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. July 25, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "David Ball Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "David Ball Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1994". RPM. December 12, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Best of 1994: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.