The Secret Land
The Secret Land is a 1948 American documentary film about a United States Navy expedition code-named "Operation Highjump" to explore Antarctica and to evaluate its potential for military operations in 1946. It won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.
|The Secret Land|
|Written by||Harvey S. Haislip|
William C. Park
|Produced by||Orville O. Dull|
|Narrated by||Robert Montgomery|
|Edited by||Fredrick Y. Smith|
|Music by||Bronislau Kaper|
It features Chief of Naval Operations Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz in a brief scene where he is discussing Operation Highjump with admirals Richard E. Byrd and Richard H. Cruzen prior to their departure.
The film has a wide range of scenes depicting the operation. These include the rescue of a crew of a crashed aircraft and the discovery of an Antarctic "oasis" which is free of snow.
The film has re-enacted scenes of critical events, such as shipboard damage control and Admiral Byrd throwing items out of an airplane to lighten it to avoid crashing into a mountain.
It won the 1948 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.
The film earned $395,000 in the US and Canada and $181,000 elsewhere, resulting in a profit of $10,000.
- Robert Montgomery - Narrator (voice) (as Comdr. Robert Montgomery, U.S.N.R.)
- Robert Taylor - Narrator (voice) (as Lt. Robert Taylor U.S.N.R.)
- Van Heflin - Narrator (voice) (as Lt. Van Heflin, A.A.F., Ret.)
- James Forrestal - Himself (as James V. Forrestal)
- Chester W. Nimitz - Himself
- Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd - Himself (as Admiral Byrd)
- Richard H. Cruzen - Himself (as Admiral Cruzen)
- Robert S. Quackenbush - Himself (as Captain Quackenbush)
- George J. Dufek - Himself (as Captain George Dufek)
- Paul A. Siple - Himself (as Dr. Siple)
- Charles W. Thomas - Himself (as Captain Thomas)
- Richard E. Byrd Jr. - Himself
- Vernon D. Boyd - Himself (as Captain Boyd)
- Charles A. Bond - Himself (as Captain Bond)
- David E. Bunger - Himself (as Commander David E. Bunger)
- John E. Clark - Himself (as Captain Clark)
- Survival film, about the film genre, with a list of related films
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study
- "AFI: The Secret Land". AFI. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "The 21st Academy Awards (1949) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Chowther, Bosley (2011). "NY Times: The Secret Land". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on May 21, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2008.