The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016)
The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete is a 2013 American drama film directed by George Tillman, Jr. and written by Michael Starrbury. The film stars Anthony Mackie, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks and U’Asi Wright. Coming of age story about two inner-city youths, who are left to fend for themselves over the summer after their mothers are taken away by the authorities. Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon star in the title roles as Mister and Pete, respectively.
|The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete|
|Directed by||George Tillman, Jr.|
|Written by||Michael Starrbury|
|Produced by||George Tillman, Jr. |
|Starring||Skylan Brooks |
|Edited by||Jamie Kirkpatrick|
|Music by||Alicia Keys |
Floren Shieh Productions
iDeal Partners Film Fund
State Street Pictures
|Distributed by||CodeBlack Entertainment |
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2018)
During a sweltering summer in New York City, 13-year-old Mister's (Skylan Brooks) hard-living mother (Hudson) is apprehended by the police, leaving the boy and nine-year-old Pete (Dizon) alone to forage for food while dodging police and various hostile residents while awaiting a child actor casting call. Faced with more than any child can be expected to bear, the resourceful Mister nevertheless feels he is an unstoppable force against seemingly immovable obstacles. But what really keeps the pair in the survival game is Mister's intelligence and perseverance.
- Skylan Brooks as Mister
- Ethan Dizon as Pete
- Anthony Mackie as Kris
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Pike
- Jennifer Hudson as Gloria
- Jordin Sparks as Alice
- Jeffrey Wright as Henry
- Julito McCullum as Dip Stick
- Adam Trese as Alice's Boyfriend
- Michael Chmiel as Clerk
- Chandler Frantz as Paul Finch-Audition Boy
- Marcus Carl Franklin as College Kid
In its opening weekend, the film opened in 147 theaters in the United States and Canada and grossed $254,279, ranking #24 at the box office. Mister & Pete was in release for 3 weeks and has grossed $494,608 domestically.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 86% based on 37 reviews, with an average rating of 6.85/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete uses its compelling streetwise setting -- and powerful performances from its young leads -- to offer a refreshing twist on the coming-of-age formula." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 61 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
|2014||Young Artist Award||Best Leading Young Actor in a Feature Film||Skylan Brooks||Nominated|||
- "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete screening at Montclair Film Festival". Planet Chocko. May 6, 2013. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete (2013)". Box Office Mojo. October 31, 2013. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- "Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks in Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete". Digital spy. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Lionsgate's Codeblack Films Acquires Sundance Pic 'The Inevitable Defeat Of Mister And Pete'". Deadline. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "'The Inevitable Defeat Of Mister And Pete' Sets October 11 Release". Deadline. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Weekend Box Office Results for October 11-13, 2013". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "35th Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards. Retrieved 14 April 2014.