The Grand Rapids Press
|Publisher||Advance Local Media, LLC|
|Headquarters||169 Monroe Ave NW #100, Grand Rapids, MI 49503|
|Sister newspapers||The Lakeshore Press|
AccuWeather provides weather content to the Grand Rapids Press.
The Morning Press was founded by William J. Sproat and appeared on Monday, September 1, 1890. Mr. Sproat was its proprietor until November 5, 1891, when control passed to the Press Publishing company. Soon after, the controlling interest in the company was purchased by George G. Booth, who in 1892 bought the rival Grand Rapids Eagle and merged it with the Press. January 1, 1893, the Press went into the evening daily field, which it has since occupied.
This newspaper at first was published at 63 Pearl Street. Then for a number of years it occupied a building on the Grand River at the southeast end of the Pearl Street bridge. In 1906 it moved to a new home at Fulton Street and Sheldon Avenue.
The paper was published downtown at the corner of Monroe and Michigan until 2004 when the printing facility was moved to the northern suburb of Walker. The editorial and newsroom offices remain downtown. They hire aspiring journalists through an internship program.
Since October 2009, the Press' printing facility has been the printing facility for the Muskegon Chronicle. The Advance Newspapers are also printed at this facility, as is, since January 2012, the Kalamazoo Gazette. Home delivery for the Press, Chronicle and Gazette were cut back to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays in 2012; on the other days in which the Grand Rapids Press is published, subscribers receive an e-edition of that day's newspaper. The print edition of each day's Press continues to be available in newsstands.
- "2007 Top 100 Daily Newspapers in the U.S. by Circulation" (PDF). BurrellesLuce. March 31, 2007. Retrieved May 31, 2007.