The Daily (podcast)
The Daily is a daily news podcast and radio show by the American newspaper The New York Times. Hosted by Times political journalist Michael Barbaro, its episodes are based on the Times' reporting of the day with interviews of journalists from the New York Times. Episodes last 20 to 30 minutes, and new episodes air every weekday.
|Hosted by||Michael Barbaro|
|Genre||Long-form journalism, Political podcast|
|Length||avg. 20–25 minutes|
|Theme music composed by||Jim Brunberg and Ben Landsverk|
|Original release||February 1, 2017 – present|
|Provider||The New York Times|
The Daily is based on interviews with Times journalists, in which they summarize and comment on their story, and is complemented by recordings related to the topic, or original reporting such as interviews with persons involved in the story. A summary of headlines concludes the podcast.
The Daily is free to listen and financed by advertising; it is profitable according to the Times. The Times said it intended to build a news podcast franchise around it, beginning with a spin-off podcast, The New Washington, in summer 2017. The New Washington ran from July 2017 until December of the same year. A children's edition of The Daily was also planned. In January 2019, The Daily launched a weekly newsletter.
The Weekly (spinoff)
The success of the podcast led to a weekly documentary series called The Weekly, which was announced on May 8, 2019 by FX and debuted on June 2, 2019. The Weekly is an American narrative investigative journalism docuseries that covers recent topical news and cultural stories.
Started in January 2017, The Daily became a noted success for the Times; TheStreet.com described it as "a phenomenon, an out-of-the-blue hit". It had 3.8 million individual listeners by August 2017, and was regularly in the top ten most-listened podcasts by autumn 2017. The New Yorker attributed this success, in part, to the podcast's "conversational and intimate" tone, which made news more accessible, and to Barbaro's "idiosyncratic intonation" (he is known to say "hmm" after interesting commentary from guests, a habit that has generated much online commentary from listeners). The podcast began being syndicated to radio by American Public Media in 2018. As of June 2018, the podcast receives 1.1 million downloads every weekday and 2 millions in January 2020. The Daily (podcast) won the 2020 Webby Voice of the Year in the category Special Achievement.
- "Michael Barbaro, Journalist". Brief but Spectacular. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- Schneier, Matthew (January 21, 2020). "The Voice of the Podcast Generation". Intelligencer. Retrieved February 5, 2020.
- Mead, Rebecca (August 21, 2017). "An Appreciation of Michael Barbaro and "The Daily"". The New Yorker. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- Siegel, Tatiana. "Michael Barbaro and 'The Daily' Podcast Team on Launching 'The Weekly' FX Series, Working With a Romantic Partner". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Doctor, Ken (October 17, 2017). "New York Times' breakthrough 'The Daily' soars past 100M download mark". TheStreet. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- Grinapol, Corinne, The New York Times Unveils Another Politics Podcast, Called The New Washington, retrieved January 16, 2019
- "A regular New York Times kids' section and a kids' version of The Daily are on the way this month". Nieman Lab. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- "Subscribe to a Newsletter From 'The Daily'". The New York Times. January 14, 2019. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Koblin, John (May 9, 2018). "With 'The Weekly,' The New York Times Gets Serious About TV". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- ""The Daily" Exceeds 100 Million Downloads". The New York Times Company. October 17, 2017. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- Barbaro, Michael (May 24, 2019). "About Those Hmms (Published 2019)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved January 26, 2021.
- Falk, Tyler. "New York Times' 'The Daily' podcast headed to public radio". Current. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- Johnson, Eric. "Michael Barbaro explains why The Daily podcast doesn't cover Donald Trump's tweets". Recode. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "What makes The Daily so unique? • PodMust". PodMust. January 26, 2020. Retrieved March 10, 2020.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob (May 20, 2020). "Here are all the winners of the 2020 Webby Awards". The Verge. Retrieved May 22, 2020.