The Aegis (newspaper)
|Owner(s)||Baltimore Sun Media Group|
|Publisher||John W. Worthington (1923-1964), Shield Press (1964-1986), tronc, inc. (1986-current)|
|Headquarters||Bel Air, Maryland|
|Sister newspapers||The Baltimore Sun|
Before the Times Mirror Company, then-owners of The Baltimore Sun, purchased The Aegis in 1986, it was known as The Aegis & Intelligencer. In 1923, then-owner John D. Worthington, Sr. simplified its name to The Aegis. The name "Aegis" originally derived from Greek mythology and is a reference to Zeus' shield, meant to "evoke protection for the interests of Harford residents" as well as the founding paper's Southern sympathies.
Since 1923, The Aegis has gone through several name changes. From March 16, 1951 to January 9, 1964, the paper was known as The Aegis and Harford Gazette. From January 16, 1964 to September 18, 1969, it was named The Aegis, the Harford Gazette and the Democratic Ledger. Finally, on September 25, 1969, its original name of The Aegis was restored, and it is published under this name to this day as a sister paper to The Baltimore Sun.
William Robert Wallis, known to most as "Robbie," started out on a pre-law track at the University of Baltimore, but was convinced to join The Aegis in 1952 by John D. Worthington II as the paper's first sports editor. He worked for The Aegis for 38 years and was managing editor of the paper by the time of his retirement in 1990. Robert was well known in Bel Air and active in numerous state and local organizations, even serving for 11 years as a member of the Maryland Stadium Authority.
The Worthington family played a huge role in shaping the newspaper throughout its history, beginning with John D. Worthington Sr. who purchased the paper in 1904. Expanding with each successive generation, The Aegis stayed in the hands of the Worthingtons until 2010, when John D. Worthington IV retired, ending his family's 105-year ownership of the paper. He had been at the helm since 1973, surviving two purchases of the paper: one by the Times Mirror in 1986 and another by the Tribune Media Company in 2000.
- "The aegis, 1923-1951". Chronicling America. Library of Congress.
- "About The aegis & intelligencer". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "A Harford newspaper turns 140 The Aegis: In growing county, it's one of few community institutions bridging old and new". The Baltimore Sun. The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "The aegis, 1969-current". Chronicling America. Library of Congress.
- Portrait and Biographical Record of Harford and Cecil Counties, Maryland: Containing Portraits and Bibliographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the Counties. Together with Biographies and Portraits of All the Presidents of the United States. New York and Chicago: Chapman Publishing Co. 1897.
- Larew, Marilynn (1995). Bel Air: An Architectural and Cultural History, 1782-1945. Bel Air, MD: Town of Bel Air, Maryland.
- Penski, Elwin (2010). An American County Historical Chronology, Big Bang to 2009 Harford County, Maryland, USA. 125th Anniversary of the Historical Society of Harford County, Inc (Limited ed.). Harford County, MD: El's Research Studies. ISBN 978-0984121014.
- Deibel, Carol (2012). Bel Air Chronicles (Illustrated ed.). Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-1614236740.
- Mason, Samuel (1955). Historical Sketches of Harford County, Maryland. Harford County, MD: Little Pines Farm. ISBN 978-0788437809.
- Larew, Marilynn (1979). "National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, Aegis Building, Bel Air" (PDF). Bel Air, MD.
- Wallis, Guy (2011). The Wallis Family of Kent County, Maryland. Lulu.com. ISBN 1257897527. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- Deibel, Carol L.; Santora, Kathi (2016). Legendary Locals of Bel Air (Illustrated ed.). Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 1467102377. Retrieved 8 March 2018.