Tarzan and the She-Devil
Tarzan and the She-Devil is a 1953 American film directed by Kurt Neumann and starring Lex Barker as Tarzan and Joyce MacKenzie as Jane. It also features Raymond Burr, Tom Conway and Monique van Vooren, who plays the "She-Devil."
|Tarzan and the She-Devil|
|Directed by||Kurt Neumann|
|Written by||Karl Kamb|
|Based on||Characters created|
by Edgar Rice Burroughs
|Produced by||Sol Lesser|
|Edited by||Leon Barsha|
|Music by||Paul Sawtell|
Sol Lesser Productions
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
Tarzan is held captive during much of the film, and critics derided it as lacking action. This was Barker's fifth and final appearance as Edgar Rice Burroughs' ape-man. Barker, who had replaced Johnny Weissmuller in the role of Tarzan, would be succeeded by Gordon Scott.
Beautiful but deadly Lyra the She-Devil and her ivory-hunting friends have discovered a large herd of bull elephants and plot to capture them, forcing an East African native tribe to serve as bearers. Their ivory poaching plans meet opposition when Tarzan gives his deafening jungle cry. The tusked creatures come running, stomping all over Lyra's plans.
The Radio Times said "despite the exotic title and a great villain in Raymond Burr, this is a standard tale of ivory-seeking elephant hunters being stymied by the king of the jungle." The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said "the plot has something to do with illegal elephant hunting" and that "Cheta, the performing chimp, steals what there is of the show."
- "Tarzan and the She-Devil: Detail View". American Film Institute. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Detail view of Movies Page". Afi.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "Tarzan And The She-Devil Trailer, Reviews and Schedule for Tarzan And The She-Devil | TVGuide.com". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- William G. Hillman. "ERBzine 1952: Tarzan and the She-Devil". Erbzine.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Erickson, Hal. "Tarzan and the She-Devil (1953) - Kurt Neumann | Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related". AllMovie. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Tarzan and the She-Devil | Film review and movie reviews". Radio Times. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Fanning, Win (5 September 1953). "The New Films". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 20. Retrieved 31 October 2019 – via Newspapers.com.