Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips
Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips is a series of books collecting the complete Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan comic strip written and drawn by Russ Manning, an American daily and Sunday strip title originally published in newspapers between 1967 and 1979, via United Feature Syndicate. The first volume of the series was awarded the Eisner Award in the category "Best Archival Collection/Project - Strips" in 2014. The series was published by The Library of American Comics from 2013 to 2015.
|Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips|
|Publisher||The Library of American Comics|
|Publication date||June 18, 2013 – |
April 14, 2015
|No. of issues||4|
|Created by||Edgar Rice Burroughs|
|Written by||Russ Manning|
The hardcover volumes of the series measure 11 inches × 8.5 inches (280 mm × 216 mm), the daily strips are reproduced in black-and-white three to a page, while the Sunday pages are reproduced in full color, at one per page. The books come with dustjacket and a sewn ribbon bookmark. The strips have been rearranged from the chronological original output in order to have each's storyline in intact, since the dailies and Sundays had different continuities, therefore all the dailies are presented first and the Sundays are the latter part of each volume.
The first three volumes contain both daily and Sunday strips, while the fourth and final volume only contain Sunday pages, this since Manning decided to give up the daily part of the strip in order to focus his time to produce Tarzan graphic novels, he did however keep on doing the Sunday page until his final year on it in 1979. The strips are reproduced from Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.'s original file copies.
Foreword by Russ Mannings assistant on the strip, William Stout is included. Henry G. Franke III, editor of the Edgar Rice Borrughs Amateur Press Association and The Borroughs Bibliophiles, also very well known in the world around Tarzan comics due to his historic articles on the subject, has contributed introductions for the series. Extras such as scans of original art by Manning and memorabilia related to Tarzan and Mannings career are included. Each volume had the MSRP set at $49,99 by the publisher.
|Volume||Release date||Title||Period||Page count||ISBN|
|1||2013-06-18||“Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips - Vol. 1”||1967–1969||288||978-1-61377-694-0|
|2||2013-12-31||“Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips - Vol. 2”||1969–1971||296||978-1-61377-820-3|
|3||2014-07-29||“Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips - Vol. 3”||1971–1974||296||978-1-61377-982-8|
|4||2015-04-14||“Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips - Vol. 4”||1974–1979||296||978-1-63140-215-9|
- "Russ Manning's Tarzan strips take top prize at the Eisners > Edgar Rice Burroughs". Edgar Rice Burroughs. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "2010-Present". Comic-Con International: San Diego. 2012-12-02. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "Westfield Comics Blog » Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips Volume 4". Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "Book Review: Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips, Volume Four: 1974-1979 - Cinema Sentries". cinemasentries.com. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "IDW To Release 'Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Strips Vol 1' This May". Geeks of Doom. 2013-02-12. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "Edgar Rice Burroughs and the Great War". PulpFest. 2018-05-09. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "a book review by Mark Squirek: Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips Vol. 1 (1967-1969) by (Editor)". www.nyjournalofbooks.com. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "SOLICITATIONS: Russ Manning Tarzan series gets collected — Major Spoilers — Comic Book Reviews, News, Previews, and Podcasts". Major Spoilers. 2013-02-10. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- Publisher website - IDW Publishing - The Library of American Comics - Tarzan
- The Library of American Comics' YouTube channel - Inside Look: Tarzan, Vol. 2
- Preview - Tarzan: The Complete Russ Manning Newspaper Strips - Vol. 3