Stephen Berry (journalist)
Stephen J. Berry (born 1948) is an American investigative journalist. In 1993, while working for The Orlando Sentinel, he and Jeff Brazil won the Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting for a report exposing a sheriff department drug squad's unlawful seizure of millions of dollars from motorists, mostly minorities. He is now an associate professor at The University of Iowa's School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Berry is the author of a book about investigative journalism entitled Watchdog Journalism: The Art of Investigative Reporting.
Berry is co-founder and interim executive director of The Iowa Center for Public Affairs Journalism. Before becoming a professor, he had been a journalist for 33 years, finishing his career as a journalist working for the Los Angeles Times. His works mainly focused on race relations, the criminal justice system, police abuse of power, medical malpractice, stock-car racingm guns, government and illegal drugs.
Awards and honorsEdit
Berry has won a number of awards for his investigative and daily reporting which include:
- Associated Press Newspaper Executive Council Award for public service
- National Benjamin Fine and the N.C. School Bell awards for education reporting
- Los Angeles Times’ Top of the Times Award
- National Headliners Award finalist for public service
- Society of Professional Journalists Award
- Champion of Justice Journalism Award by National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (1993)
- Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting(1993)
- Florida Sports Writers Association award for Investigative Reporting
- "Stephen Berry". CLAS. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "The 1993 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Investigative Reporting". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 24 August 2008.
- "Stephen Berry". The University of Iowa. Archived from the original on 7 September 2008. Retrieved 24 August 2008.
- "NACDL - Champion of Justice Awards". NACDL - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Retrieved 2020-09-12.
- Staff, Craig Dezern of The Sentinel. "2 REPORTERS WIN SENTINEL'S 2ND PULITZER". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved 2020-09-12.