Spotted Island Air Station
Spotted Island Air Station (ADC ID: N-27B) was a General Surveillance Gap Filler Radar station in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, It was located 195 miles (314 km) east of CFB Goose Bay. It was closed in 1961.
|Spotted Island Air Station|
|Part of Pinetree Line|
Emblem of the 922d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
|Controlled by||Aerospace Defense Command|
|Built by||United States Air Force|
The site was established in 1957 as a manned Gap Filler radar station, built by the United States Air Force, under operational control of Cartwright Air Station and part of the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.
The station was assigned to Aerospace Defense Command in 1957, and was given designation "N-27B". Aerospace Defense Command stationed the 922d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at the station in 1957. It operated an AN/FPS-14 manned Gap Filler search radar.
USAF units and assignments
- 922d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, Activated at Grenier AFB, New Hampshire 26 May 1953
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.