Siam Cement Group
The Siam Cement Group Public Company Limited (SCG; SET: SCC) is the largest and oldest cement and building material company in Thailand and Southeast Asia. In 2016, SCG was also ranked as the second largest company in Thailand and the 604th largest public company in the world by Forbes. The company is SET50 and SETHD-listed and an industry benchmark. The company's major shareholder is the Crown Property Bureau, which owns 30 percent of Siam Cement's shares.
|Founded||8 December 1913 |
|Founder||Vajiravudh, King Rama VI|
|Chirayu Isarangkun Na Ayuthaya (Chairman),|
Roongrote Rangsiyopash (CEO):2
|Products||cement, chemicals, construction, packaging, solar roof, investment, logistics|
|Revenue||450 billion baht (2016):11|
|56.1 billion baht (2016):11|
|Total assets||539.7 billion baht (2016):11|
Number of employees
SCG Cement-Building Materials
Consolidated revenues were 450 billion baht (US$14 billion) in FY2017.:10 The cement and building materials unit contributed 38 percent; 44 percent from the chemicals unit; and 18 percent from the packaging unit.:11 In 2016, SCG was ranked No.1 of the top graduate employer in Thailand polled by Asia Internship Program
SCG was founded to set up the first cement plant in Bangkok, Thailand by a royal decree of King Rama VI (Vajiravudh) in 1913. Since then, the company has expanded into various businesses with three core business units: SCG Cement-building materials; SCG Chemicals; and SCG Packaging.:1 Now, SCG heavily invests their company into Southeast Asia regions including packaging businesses in Malaysia, a petrochemical complex in Vietnam, and many cement plants around the regions.
SCG employs approximately 54,000 employees. The products are marketed domestically and exported to all regions of the world. Cementhai Holding Co., Ltd. oversees SCG's investment in various businesses. Most are joint ventures with internationally renowned companies, for example, Kubota, Yamato Kogyo, Aisin Takaoka Group, Nippon Steel, Toyota Motor, Michelin, Hayes Lemmerz, Siam Mitsui,and Dow Chemical company.
Research and development
SCG emphasizes research and development. In 2016, R&D spending was one percent of sales and value-added products contributed more than 35 percent of sales.:11 In 2017, HVA products accounted for nearly 40 percent of sales.
Siam Research and Innovation Company Limited conducts research and development of new products and services related to cement, mortar, concrete, building materials, 3D printing, prefabrication, recycled aggregate, and refractory.
In 2014, SCG Chemicals acquired 51 percent of Norner for developing plastic and polymer technology. In 2017, SCG received the "Asia IP Elite 2016" award for the third consecutive year. The award is given by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM), a leading magazine in strategic management of intellectual property.
- Apisitniran, Lamonphet (23 March 2019). "Keeping SCG nimble in a disruptive age". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- Annual Report 2017 (PDF). The Siam Cement Public Company Limited. n.d. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Top 75 global cement companies". Global Cement. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "The World's Biggest Public Companies". Forbes. n.d. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "7 companies Gen Y (Thai) want to work 2016".
- "Company History". Siam Kubota Corporation Co., Ltd. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "SCG Investment". SCG. Archived from the original on 1 March 2017. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "Structure of Company". www.scgchemicals.com. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "SRI at a Glance". Siam Research and Innovation Company, Ltd. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "About Norner". Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "SCG Chemicals enters as a strategic investor into Norner". Norner. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "SCG Wins Asia IP Elite Award For Third Consecutive Year At IP Business Congress Asia 2016" (Press release). www.publicnow.com. Retrieved 5 August 2017.