Second Council of Dvin
|Second Council of Dvin|
|Accepted by||Armenian Apostolic Church|
|First Council of Dvin|
|Third Council of Dvin|
|Convoked by||Nerses II of Bagrevand|
|Chronological list of ecumenical councils|
The Second Council of Dvin was called by Catholicos Nerses II of Bagrevand, and the bishops declined to accept the canons of Chalcedon. This was significant as it was the moment where the Armenian church declined to accept the dyophysite formula that had been adopted by the majority of Christendom at the Council of Chalcedon. This decision was made because of the Armenian's observation that the decrees of Chalcedon had caused the doctrine of Nestorius to spread.
Impact of the CouncilEdit
This rejection marks the point of separation between the Armenian Apostolic Church and Oriental Orthodoxy more generally from the rest of Christendom (the Eastern Orthodox Church and Roman Catholic Church were still united).
- Armenia: The marzpans, at Britannica.
- H.H. Karekin I's Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church (Karekin Sarkissian, 2006).
- Kettenhofen, Erich (1996). "DVIN". Encyclopaedia Iranica, Vol. VII, Fasc. 6. pp. 616–619.
- Augustine Casiday, The Orthodox Christian World (Routledge, 21 Aug 2012) page 47-48.
- Rouben Paul Adalian, Historical Dictionary of Armenia (Scarecrow Press, 2010) page 120.
- Philip Francis Esler, The Early Christian World, Volume 1 (Taylor & Francis, 2000) p 334.
- RELIGIOUS HISTORY OF ARMENIA.
- Oliver Nicholson, The Oxford Dictionary of Late Antiquity (Oxford University Press, 19 Apr 2018) page 423.
- Rouben Paul Adalian, Historical Dictionary of Armenia (Scarecrow Press, 2010) page 286.
- Tim Greenwood, The Universal History of Step'anos Taronec'i: Introduction, Translation, and Commentary (Oxford University Press, 2017) p150-151.