Scala Radio is a classical music digital radio station in the United Kingdom, owned and operated by Bauer Radio since its launch in March 2019. The station broadcasts around the clock nationally on DAB via the Sound Digital multiplex and online through websites and apps, including the station's own. The station was the first national classical music service to launch on terrestrial radio in the UK since Classic FM in 1992.
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom|
First air date
|4 March 2019|
On 22 December 2018, following the demise of his BBC Radio 2 drivetime show – which had been co-hosted with Jo Whiley since May 2018 – Simon Mayo revealed that "...the new radio show will be announced in January. It will be startling."
A month later, on 21 January 2019, Bauer Radio announced plans to launch a new national classical music service under the name Scala Radio from March, with Mayo having signed up to be one of the lead presenters of the new station. More information about presenters and their shows was confirmed in February 2019.
Advance weekly listings for Scala Radio were published from launch in Radio Times and the Bauer-owned Total TV Guide. The Radio Times removed listings for BBC Radio 1Xtra and details of news and weather bulletins on Radios 1 and 2 to make space for the new station.
The station launched on Sky on 1 May 2019 on channel 0216.
The presenters on Scala Radio include a range of radio and television personalities, some of whom have previously presented on other Bauer stations as well as with competitor stations such as Classic FM. The current presenters with regular shows are:
- Hann, Michael (1 March 2019). "Can Scala Radio disrupt the UK's classical market?". Financial Times. London. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Mayo, Simon [@simonmayo] (22 December 2018). "An ex-Radio 2 host writes... So thank you all for all the wonderful comments here. Quite moved by it all. I've done a daily national BBC show for 31 years solid so this might take a while to adjust to...anyway the new radio show will be announced in January. It will be startling" (Tweet). Retrieved 11 May 2020 – via Twitter.
- "Simon Mayo joins new classical station". BBC News. BBC. 21 January 2019.
- "Scala Radio announces more names for presenter line up". Digital Radio UK. 21 February 2019.
- "Simon Mayo launches Scala Radio on DAB digital radio". Radio Today. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Presenters - Scala Radio". Planet Radio. Bauer Media. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Official website
- Scala Radio on Facebook
- Scala Radio on Instagram
- Scala Radio on Twitter
- Scala Radio's channel on YouTube