Related is an American comedy-drama television series that aired on The WB from October 5, 2005, to March 20, 2006. It revolves around the lives of four close-knit sisters of Italian descent, raised in Brooklyn and living in Manhattan.
|Created by||Liz Tuccillo|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||18 (list of episodes)|
|Producer||Robert Lloyd Lewis|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||The WB|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||October 5, 2005 –|
March 20, 2006
The show was created by former Sex and the City writer Liz Tuccillo, and executive produced by Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman. Despite heavy promotion, initial ratings did not warrant the show being picked up for a second season when The WB network was folded into The CW.
The untitled Related theme song is performed by The Veronicas, whose music was regularly featured in episodes.
Cast and characters
- Jennifer Esposito as Ginnie, the oldest of the Sorelli sisters. She is an ambitious 30-year-old corporate attorney and the only sister who is married. In the premiere episode, Ginnie learned that she was pregnant, but she subsequently she lost the baby.
- Kiele Sanchez as Ann, the second-oldest sister. She is a 26-year-old therapist who specializes in counseling transvestites.
- Lizzy Caplan as Marjee, who is 23 years old. At the beginning of the series, she was working as a party planner and dating her boss's boyfriend, Jason. Later, Marjee quit her job and started a business with Jason.
- Laura Breckenridge as Rose, the youngest of the Sorelli sisters. She is a 19-year-old college student attending NYU. Originally she was a pre-med major, but later changed her major to drama, despite her father's wishes.
- Callum Blue as Bob Spencer, Ginnie's British husband who works as a software engineer in the music industry. He recently worked on Jack Johnson's tour.
- Tom Irwin as Joe Sorelli, the father of the Sorelli sisters, a widower who owns and lives above a deli named Sorelli's Deli in Brooklyn.
- Christine Ebersole as Renée, Joe Sorelli's new wife.
- Dan Futterman as Danny, Ann's ex-boyfriend and the owner of a restaurant called Sabroso. Ann had been going with Danny for six years when he moved out of their apartment and dumped her. Ann suspected Danny of having an affair with Megan. Later, Danny got back together with Ann, but then broke up with her once again after learning that she had had an abortion shortly after they started seeing each other, but kept it from him for six years.
- Victor Webster as Marco, who grew up with Ann and works at Sorelli's Deli where he makes sausage. Ann slept with him after breaking up with Danny.
- Andrew Keegan as Zach, a college student who lives in the same dorm as Rose at NYU. Ann slept with him after breaking up with Danny.
- Anne Elizabeth Ramsay as Trish Houghton, who was Marjee's boss and was dating Jason Greenstein until he began dating Marjee. Trish is obsessed with her dog and hates both Marjee and Jason for what they have done to her.
- Julian Ovenden as Jason Greenstein, who worked for Trish and dated her, while also seeing Marjee. He later left Trish and started a business with Marjee.
- Kyle Howard as Joel, a student at NYU and has been Rose's best friend for a long time. He is also in love with her. He dates a woman named Chloe, but Chloe dumps him because she knows that he and Rose have feelings for each other.
- Chris Carmack as Alex Brody, Rose's new boyfriend. He is a classmate of Rose's in experimental theater and directed a play in which he and Rose starred. However, Alex dumped Rose at Joe's wedding so he could go to Hollywood to become an actor.
- Judith Ivey as Bob's mother, who has a knack for hurting Ginnie's feelings although much of it may be unintentional. Bob's parents live in England. They visit Bob and Ginnie for Christmas, 2005.
- Roger Rees as Robert Spencer, Bob's father who apparently likes to drink.
- Jamie Ray Newman as Kylie Stewart, a singer who is Bob's ex-girlfriend and for whom Bob produces an album.
- Shanola Hampton as Flash (real name: Tiffani Lusinski), Rose's punky roommate. She and Rose are not good friends.
- Megan Linder as Megan, the hostess at Danny's restaurant.
- Peter Paige as Patrick, the son Renee gave up for adoption 19 years ago and has not seen since. He owns a bed and breakfast on Cape Cod.
- Dana Delany as Francesca Sorelli, Joe Sorelli's wife and the mother of the Sorelli sisters. She died 15 years earlier of cancer.
- Victor Webster as Marco
- Jillian Barberie as herself
- The Veronicas (Jess and Lisa Origliasso) as themselves
- Joanna Canton as Chloe, Joel's girlfriend
- Nick D'Agosto as PJ, Marjee's friend
- Zachary Knighton as Gary, Joel's roommate
- Paolo Seganti as Nino Rosati, Marjee's piano teacher (in flashback scenes).
- Frederick Weller as Ginnie's colleague who handles the sale of Sorelli's Deli for the buyer.
- Dennis Boutsikaris as Professor Kasnov
- John Prosky as Dr. Gorenberg
- Jackie Geary as Justine, Ann's friend
- Armelia McQueen as the lady at the NYU housing office
- Jonathan Silverman as Brad, Ann's horrible wedding date
- Francesca Catalano as Ginnie at age 17
- Courtney Hope as a young Ann
- Alyssa Shafer as a young Rose
- Laura San Giacomo as Ann Sorelli (pilot episode only)
- Jon Hamm as Danny (pilot episode only)
- Kyle Howard as Joel, Rose's friend
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"Moving Out, Moving In, Moving On"||James Frawley||Liz Tuccillo||October 5, 2005||2T7051|
|A lot is happening in the lives of the Sorelli sisters. Rose is moving into a new dorm room after switching from pre-med to experimental theater. Marjee is moving out of her apartment and back home with their father after being evicted. Ann is apparently being dumped by her boyfriend of six years, Danny, who is too busy opening a new restaurant to talk to her about it. Ginnie, who has just learned that she is pregnant, is contemplating how her life will change and trying to break the news to her husband, Bob. The sisters learn that their father, Joe, a widower, has become engaged to his girlfriend, Renée. Despite not being very fond of Renée, the sisters throw an engagement party for her and Joe. Rose shows up having just pierced her tongue and dyed her hair bright blue. Each sister's secret is then revealed one after another, which is very upsetting and results in some bonding time.|
|2||"Hang in There, Baby"||Arvin Brown||Alex Taub||October 12, 2005||2T7052|
|Ginnie and Bob try to do all the things they will not be able to do after the baby arrives. On a visit to the Empire State Building, Ginnie learns that Bob is deathly afraid of heights. Meanwhile, Ann is in denial about the fact that she and Danny are breaking up. Marjee has moved back in with her father and is annoyed that his fiancée, Renée, gets up way too early in the morning and is way too cheerful. Rose, now majoring in experimental theater, worries that her father will stop paying for her education.|
|3||"Cry Me a Sister"||Joanna Kerns||Bill Prady||October 19, 2005||2T7053|
|Ann is depressed and suffering over her breakup with Danny. Ginnie goes to Danny's restaurant to talk to him, but it only makes matters worse. Ann is furious at Ginnie for butting in. Meanwhile, Marjee struggles with her new job and Rose's punky roommate, Flash, makes fun of her in front of their acting class. Rose unsuccessfully tries to change rooms, so she and Joel dig up dirt on Flash to put her in her place.|
|4||"Hello, Deli"||Patrick Norris||Maggie Friedman||October 26, 2005||2T7054|
|As the four sisters watch their father's deli over the weekend while he goes on a vacation with Renée, Ann tries to get over Danny, Ginnie and Marjee fight over responsibility and Rose questions her decision to change majors.|
|5||"The Naked Truth"||Elodie Keene||Jamie Gorenberg||October 31, 2005||2T7055|
|Rose lands the lead role in Alex's play, but when she realizes that she will have to appear in a nude scene with him, she decides not to invite her father and Renée to see it.|
|6||"Sex and the Sisters"||Joanna Kerns||Jennifer Maisel||November 7, 2005||2T7056|
|Ginnie and Bob are trying hard not to have sex, on the advice of Ginnie's doctor. Rose is considering having sex, which Marjee encourages her to do. Ginnie and Ann later give Rose different advice. After a horrible date with someone close to her own age, Ann decides to have sex with Zach, who is Rose's age.|
|7||"Francesca"||Lee Rose||Brian Buckner||November 14, 2005||2T7057|
|While preparing a Thanksgiving dinner, the sisters reminisce about their mother, Francesca, who died of cancer. Renée tries to help with the dinner, but the girls are annoyed by nearly everything she does.|
|8||"Driving Miss Crazy"||Lee Rose||Ian Goldberg||November 21, 2005||2T7058|
|Marjee tries to teach Ginnie how to drive. Joe asks Ann to talk to the emotionally troubled Renée. Rose's longtime best friend, Joel, is jealous of the attention she gives to her new boyfriend, Alex.|
|9||"Have Yourself a Sorelli Little Christmas"||Jerry Levine||Alicia Sky Varinaitis||December 12, 2005||2T7059|
|Bob has waited to the last minute to tell Ginnie that his parents will be visiting for Christmas. Ginnie is hurt by the icy cold treatment she receives from Bob's mother. Ann is in an awkward situation knowing the big secret that Renée is keeping from Joe. Marjee continues her relationship with her boss' boyfriend, Jason. Rose is unsure whether a present she receives is from Alex or Joel.|
|10||"The Godmother"||Michael Lange||Daniel J. Rubin||January 23, 2006||2T7060|
|Ginnie and Bob argue over whether Ann should be the guardian of their child in the event they both die. Ann has misgivings about her relationship with Zach. Marjee is tired of having a secret relationship with Jason. Joel tells Rose he will no longer be the best friend. (This episode was originally called "Trust".)|
|11||"London Calling"||Kevin Dowling||Alex Taub||January 30, 2006||2T7061|
|Ginnie goes to the recording studio where Bob works and runs into Kylie, Bob's ex-girlfriend. Kylie later pays a surprise visit to Ginnie's office. Ann arranges for Marco to talk to Danny about a business deal. Marco tells Ann that he wants a serious relationship. Marjee and Jason concoct a plan to leave Trish, but Jason does not go through with it. Rose plans to sleep with Alex, but is still thinking about Joel.|
|12||"Daddy's Little Girl"||Lee Rose||Doty Abrams||February 6, 2006||2T7062|
|Ginnie gets Bob to admit he is attracted to Kylie. Kylie moves out of the loft and back into a hotel. Ann meets Marco a couple of times at Sorelli's Deli and considers getting serious with him. Marjee quits her job, breaks up with Jason and moves in with Ann, whom she says is her favorite sister. Joe Sorelli is cool when he finds Alex in Rose's dorm room, but not cool when his little girl brings Alex home for dinner.|
|13||"Not Without My Daughter"||Martha Coolidge||Maggie Friedman||February 13, 2006||2T7063|
|Joe and Renée are getting married. After Ginnie is told by her doctor to get complete bed rest, Bob tries to find a way to keep her from missing the wedding. When Ann learns that Danny is not planning to go, she convinces him that he should. Danny arrives at the wedding alone, having just had an argument with Megan. Ann is with Marco, but pays more attention to Danny. Marjee gets annoyed at Renée's son, Patrick, when he announces a gift that is similar to the gift that the Sorelli sisters are planning to give. Rose is with Alex, but Alex seems more interested in his acting career than in being with Rose.|
|14||"Here's a Balloon for You"||Lee Rose||Brian Buckner||February 27, 2006||2T7064|
|Ann and Danny reconcile. Both Marjee and Rose are single. When problems with Ginnie's pregnancy worsen, Bob takes her to the hospital where she eventually loses the baby. Nobody knows how to contact Joe, who is on his honeymoon, so Marjee breaks into Trish's office in an effort to find out. Trish catches her and throws her out, but Jason surprises Marjee when he turns up at the hospital with the information she was looking for. Rose is surprised when Joel appears at the hospital and later is surprised again when she learns that Joel has a girlfriend. Danny is stunned when Ann tells him a secret she kept from him for the six years they were together.|
|15||"Sisters Are Forever"||Michael Lange||Jamie Gorenberg||March 6, 2006||2T7065|
|Ginnie is avoiding Bob who is worried they will turn out like his parents, who ignore each other. Bob and Ginnie's marriage seems to be breaking up. Danny is having a hard time accepting that Ann never told him that she had an abortion. Jason convinces Marjee to go into business with him but Trish has blackballed them with all the suppliers. Marjee kidnaps Trish's dog and uses the dog to blackmail Trish. Rose and Joel spend time together. When Joel's girlfriend, Chloe, finds out, she puts a stop to it.|
|16||"His Name Is Ruth"||Lee Rose||Katherine Lingenfelter||March 13, 2006||2T7066|
|Ginnie brings home a lost dog and treats the dog better than she treats Bob. Ann, who has a lot of time on her hands since she and Danny split up again, tries to help Bob pick out a birthday gift for Ginnie, but Bob does not really want any help. Marjee starts to think that Jason might be "the one" but gets suspicious when he receives calls from another woman. After Marjee kisses her old friend PJ, she starts to wonder if her relationship with Jason is doomed because neither she nor Jason is trustworthy. Rose befriends Joel's girlfriend, Chloe, and ends up at a restaurant with Joel, Chloe and Joel's roommate. When Joel and Rose decide to split their orders, Chloe freaks out and Rose realizes that she has feelings for Joel.|
|17||"The Cape"||Sarah Pia Anderson||Eric Goldberg & Peter Tibbals||March 20, 2006||2T7067|
|Ginnie and Bob, who are still having problems, go to Cape Cod (at Joe's invitation) for a weekend at the Tide Inn, which Renée's son, Patrick, half owns. Jason gets evicted from his apartment by Trish, from whom he sublet it, so Marjee and Jason move in with Ann, who does not like the arrangement at all. Marjee learns that none of the other sisters like Jason. Rose, who has finally realized that she is in love with Joel, learns that Chloe is throwing a birthday party for him. Chloe reluctantly invites Rose who reluctantly goes and proceeds to get drunk and kiss Joel. Meanwhile, Joe has told Ginnie that he wants to sell the deli and move to Cape Cod permanently, so Ginnie starts a phone chain. Ann, Rose and Marjee (and Jason) drive up to Cape Cod intent on talking Joe out of moving but the four sisters have a change of heart and give their blessing to the move.|
|18||"The Move"||Lee Rose||Marta Kauffman||March 20, 2006||2T7068|
|As the four Sorelli sisters help Joe pack for his move to the cape, they find a curious love note from Marjee's former piano teacher, Nino Rosati, to their mother, Francesca. The relationship between Bob and Ginnie continues to be difficult. Bob tells Ginnie that he is considering taking a job as a sound engineer on Jack Johnson's tour. The opening act is none other than Bob's former girlfriend, Kylie Stewart. Ginnie, who is handling details of the sale of the deli, finds herself attracted to a male colleague who is handling things for the buyer. Ann is stuck with the job of taking care of Joe, who hurt his back picking up a bag of bird seed. Marjee has misgivings about Jason's suggestion that they get an apartment together. When Rose goes to Joel's dorm room to apologize for getting drunk and kissing him, she learns that Chloe has broken up with him. Joel blames Rose. The sisters find another note from Nino to Francesca – and a key to Nino's hotel room. While wondering if their mother had an affair, the sisters conclude that it is important for a person to go after what they really want. Rose goes to Joel's dorm room to make love to him. Ann goes to talk to Danny. Marjee tells Jason that things are not going to work out because she wants more than what they have. Ginnie, who has gone to her colleague's apartment and kissed him, realizes that an affair is not what she wants and rushes home to Bob – only to find that Bob has left and gone on tour.|