Phra Chuthathut Palace
The Phra Chuthathut Palace (Thai: พระจุฑาธุชราชฐาน Phra Chuthathut Ratchathan) or Sichang Palace (พระราชวังสีชัง Phra Ratcha Wang Sichang) is a summer royal residence built during the reign of King Chulalongkorn the Great on the Sichang Island in Chonburi Province. After the French occupied the island during a conflict with Thailand over control of neighboring Laos in 1893, the royal residence was largely abandoned. Parts of the unfinished halls were removed and were used for the new Vimanmek Mansion in Bangkok. Since leaving the royal control, the palace has been used by various affiliations and authorities. Today, Chulalongkorn University occupies the palace for its "Sichang Marine Science Research and Training Station" and established the Chutathut Palace Museum of Chulalongkorn University, maintaining and preserving the palace.
In 1888 Queen Saovabha Phongsri and Crown Prince Vajiravudh were sick and were advised by their physician to stay at Ko Sichang until better. Ko Sichang was also where Prince Asdang Dejavudh recovered from an illness. In 1889, King Chulalongkorn built three patient wards, naming them the "Vadhana Building" after Queen Savang Vadhana, the "Phongsri Building" after Queen Saovabha Phongsri, and the "Apirom Building" after Princess Saisavali Bhiromya. In 1892, King Chulalongkorn was resting at Ko Sichang. At that time Queen Saovabha Phongsri was pregnant, so the king built a summer palace and named it "Phra Chuthathut Palace" after his son, Prince Chudadhuj Dharadilok who was born on the island. The palace was composed of four throne hall and 14 royal houses.
The royal residence was abandoned in 1893 after the French occupied the island during a conflict with Thailand over control of neighboring Laos in the Franco-Siamese War. In 1900 the parts of the palace were torn down and reassembled in Bangkok, part of the Vimanmek Mansion.
Phra Chuthathut Palace is the only royal palace in Thailand on an island.
The buildings renovated and now used as exhibition halls are the Pagoda of Wat Atsadang Nimit; the Sea View Building; Vadhana Building; Phongsri Building; and the Apirom Building.
- "พระจุฑาธุชราชฐาน พระราชวังแห่งเดียวในไทยที่สร้างอยู่บนเกาะ!". Travel.mthai.com. 19 June 2017. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "พระตำหนักฤดูร้อน เกาะสีชัง (UNSEEN) (อ.ศรีราชา)". Edtguide.com. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Ko Sichang". Thailandtourismdirectory.com. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "พิพิธภัณฑ์พระจุฑาธุชราชฐานเกาะสีชัง – CU100". Cu100.chula.ac.th. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Royal Palace King Rama V Phra Chuthathut Palace ( Chonburi - Pattaya - Chonburi - Pattaya - Thailand ) - Explore My Trip". Exploremytrip.com. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Wat Atsadang Nimit". Chimburi.com. Retrieved 26 August 2018.