Noto (Sicilian: Notu; Latin: Netum) is a city and comune in the Province of Syracuse, Sicily, Italy. It is 32 kilometres (20 mi) southwest of the city of Syracuse at the foot of the Iblean Mountains. It lends its name to the surrounding area Val di Noto. In 2002 Noto and its church were declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
|Città di Noto|
Coat of arms
Location of Noto in Italy
|Coordinates: 36°53′N 15°05′E|
|• Mayor||Corrado Bonfanti|
|• Total||550.86 km2 (212.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||152 m (499 ft)|
|• Density||44/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Notinesi or Netini|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||San Corrado Confalonieri|
|Saint day||February 19|
|Part of||Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto (South-Eastern Sicily)|
|Inscription||2002 (26th session)|
|Area||21.38 ha (2,301,000 sq ft)|
|Buffer zone||48.09 ha (5,176,000 sq ft)|
The old town, Noto Antica, lies 8 kilometres (5 mi) directly north on Mount Alveria. A city of Sicel origin, it was known as Netum in ancient times. In 263 BCE the city was granted to Hiero II by the Romans. According to legend, Daedalus stayed in the city after his flight over the Ionian Sea, as did Hercules after his seventh task. During the Roman era, it opposed the magistrate Verres.
In 866 it was conquered by the Muslims, who elevated the city to become a capital of one of the three districts of the island (the Val di Noto). In 1091, it became the last Islamic stronghold in Sicily to fall to the Christians. Later it became a rich Norman city.
In the 16th and 17th centuries, the city was home to several notable intellectual figures, including Giovanni Aurispa, jurists Andrea Barbazio and Antonio Corsetto, as well as architect Matteo Carnelivari and composer Mario Capuana. In 1503 king Ferdinand III granted it the title of civitas ingeniosa ("Ingenious City"). In the following centuries, the city expanded, growing beyond its medieval limits, and new buildings, churches and convents were built.
The medieval town of Noto was virtually razed by the 1693 Sicilian earthquake. Over half the population is said to have died from the earthquake. It was decided to re-build the town at the present site, on the left bank of the River Asinaro, closer to the Ionian shore. These circumstances have led this town to have a unique architectural homogeneity, since the core of the town was all built over the next decades after the calamity in what is a typical and highly preserved example of Sicilian baroque. The layout followed a grid system by Giovanni Battista Landolina and utilized the sloping hillside for scenographic effects. The architects Rosario Gagliardi, Francesco Sortino and others each participated in designing multiple structures. The town was dubbed the "Stone Garden" by Cesare Brandi and is currently listed among UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. Many of the newer structures are built of a soft tufa stone, which assume a honey tonality under sunlight. Parts of the cathedral, however, unexpectedly collapsed in 1996.
The city, which had lost its provincial capital status in 1817, rebelled against the House of Bourbon on 16 May 1860, leaving its gates open to Giuseppe Garibaldi and his expedition. Five months later, on 21 October, a plebiscite sealed the annexation of Noto to Piedmont.
In 1844, Noto was named a Diocese, but in 1866 suffered the abolition of the religious guilds, which had been deeply linked to the city's structures and buildings.
Noto was freed from the fascist dictatorship of Benito Mussolini in July 1943. The Notinesi people voted in favour of the monarchy in the referendum of 1946.
Noto is famous for its buildings from the early 18th century, many of which are considered to be among the finest examples of Sicilian baroque style. It is a place of many religious buildings and several palaces.
Palazzi and other buildings
- Noto Cathedral (Cattedrale di San Nicolò di Mira, finished in 1776).
- Church of Santa Caterina.
- Church of San Corrado.
- Church of the Collegio di San Carlo.
- Church of the Sacro Nome di Gesu.
- Monastery of Santa Chiara (1735), designed by Gagliardi. It has an oval plant, the interior divided by twelve columns housing a Madonna with Child from the 16th century.
- Church of San Michele Arcangelo.
- Church of Santa Maria della Scala.
- Santissimo Salvatore: church and benedictine convent
- Church of San Nicola di Mira.
- Church of Santa Chiara, with a precious Madonna (by Antonello Gagini).
- Church of San Francesco d'Assisi (Immacolata).
- Church of the Spirito Santo.
- Church of Ecce Homo.
- Church of Santa Maria dell'Arco.
- Church of the Anime Sante del Purgatorio ("Holy Souls of the Purgatory").
- Church of Santa Maria della Rotonda.
- Church of the Santissima Trinità.
- San Carlo al Corso: Church by Rosario Gagliardi)
- Church of Santa Maria del Carmelo.
- Church of San Pietro Martire.
- Church of San Michele Arcangelo.
- San Domenico: church by Rosario Gagliardi
- Church of Sant'Antonio Abate.
- Church of Santa Caterina.
- Church of the Crociferio di San Camillo.
- San Girolamo or Church of Montevergine
- Church of Santissimo Salvatore.
- Church of San Andrea Apostolo.
- Church of San Pietro delle Rose (Saints Peter and Paul).
- Church of the SS. Crocifisso.
- Church of Sant'Egidio Vescovo.
- Church of Santa Maria del Gesù.
- Church of Annunziata.
- Church of Santa Agata.
The remains of Noto's ancient structures are almost entirely hidden beneath the ruins of the mediaeval town, except for three chambers cut into the rock. One is noted by an inscription in the library at Noto to have belonged to a gymnasium, while the other two were heroa (shrines of heroes). Explorations have discovered four cemeteries dating to the third Sicel period and one from the Greek period. Among other finds are catacombs of the Christian period and several Byzantine tombs.
About 6 kilometres (4 mi) south of Noto, on the left bank of the Tellaro (Helorus) river, stands a stone column about 10 metres (33 ft) high, which is believed to be a memorial to the surrender of Nicias. In the 3rd century BC, a tomb was excavated in the rectangular area which surrounds it, destroying an apparently pre-existing tomb. Remnants of a later burial site belonging to the necropolis of the small town of Helorus, 750 metres (2,460 ft) to the southeast, have been discovered. The Villa Romana del Tellaro is a Roman villa located south of Noto.
In the Noto neighbourhood, a 32-m radiotelescope was installed by the Istituto di Radioastronomia di Bologna as part of the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche. It works in collaboration with a similar instrument in Medicina, Bologna.
Baulì, Buonivini (meaning "good wines"), Calabernardo, Castelluccio, Cipolla, Coda di Lupo, Falconara, Fondo Morte, Lenzavacche, Lido di Noto, Madonna Marina, Pantano Longarini, Pietà San Giovannello, Reitani, Rigolizia, San Corrado di Fuori, San Lorenzo, San Marco, San Paolo, Santa Lucia, Serra di Vento, Testa dell'Acqua, Vendicari and Villa Vela.
The local area is home to several quality wine producers.
- Noto Cathedral
- Church of San Domenico
- Church of St. Charles Borromeo
- Church of San Francesco all'Immacolata
Church of the Carmine
- Church of the Santissimo Crocifisso
- Church of Santa Chiara
- Sicily and Its Islands, 2004 - Ugo La Rosa editore
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- The Val in Val di Noto is in Sicilian and in Italian a grammatically masculine term, and it does not refer to a 'Valley' as is usual in Italian geographical names, which are although always grammatically feminine, but to one of the Provinces or Governorates into which Sicily was administratively divided under Arab rule and up until the 1812 administrative reform. The corresponding Arabic term is wāli (والي), and the Sicilian val is akin to the Arab wilayah (ولاية) or the Turkish vilayet (ولايت), used as it would be a calque of the English term shire
- Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto - listing on UNESCO website
- Jeremy Johns (7 Oct 2002). Arabic Administration in Norman Sicily: The Royal Diwan. Cambridge University Press. p. 31. ISBN 9781139440196.
- Distinta relatione dello spauentoso eccidio cagionato da'terremoti ultimamente con replicate scosse, accaduto a 9 & 11 di Gennaro di 1693 Regno di Sicilia by Alessandro Burgos, Palermo and Naples, 1893.
- Storia della città di Noto, by Salvatore Russo Ferruggia, Pappalardo publisher, 1838): page 66.
- Noto VLBI home page. Noto.ira.inaf.it. Retrieved on 18 December 2012.
- L'INFIORATA di NOTO( Noto's Flower Festival )NOTO on-line: City of Noto, Unesco World Heritage Site
- "L'Avventura film locations". The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Adler, Nancy Lockwood. "Noto: A City Rebuilt" History Today (Sept 1983), Vol. 33 Issue 9, pp 39–42.
- Noto in Sicily
- Webcam on Cathedral of San Nicolò
- Il Portale su Noto
- Accommodation Center of Noto
- Noto: arrival in the Golden City on YouTube