Movie Park Germany
Movie Park Germany is a theme park in Bottrop-Kirchhellen in western Germany, 50 kilometres (30 mi) north of Düsseldorf, with an area of 40 hectares (100 acres). It consists of 7 areas based on movies and TV series. Nearby the park are several film studios.
|Location||Bottrop, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Slogan||Hollywood in Germany|
|Opened||30 June 1996 (as Warner Bros. Movie World Germany)|
19 March 2005 (as Movie Park Germany)
|Closed||31 October 2004(as Warner Bros. Movie World Germany)|
|Previous names||Kirchhellener Märchenwald (1967–1976)|
Das Neue Traumland (1986–1991)
Bavaria Filmpark Bottrop (1992–1993)
Warner Bros. Movie World Germany (1996–2004)
The park originally opened under the name "Kirchhellener Märchenwald" in 1967. Märchenpark was run by the West German family Allekötter. The park featured attractions consisting of huts in the woods where guests could press buttons to listen to different fairy tales.
A couple named Hans and Ida Rosenberg bought the park after the 1976 season. They operated the park under the name "Traumlandpark". This became their second park, the first being the Tuddern safari park in Tüddern, West Germany which they purchased from Mr. Löffelhardt and Mr. Schmidt, who sold the park so they could focus on their newest project, Phantasialand. In 1985, the Rosenbergs ran out of money and had to declare bankruptcy with the debt of €22 million.
Wolf-Dieter Jahn from Essen, West Germany and Alexandre Berthé from France, who had previously worked at the park, bought it in 1986 and reopened it in 1987 under the name "Neue Traumland". In 1989 they decided to sell the park to Bavaria Film, and it closed again on 31 August 1991.
The park opened on 6 June 1992 under the name "Bavaria Filmpark". This park was originally scheduled to open in May 1991. The park closed in 1993 after not becoming very popular.
In May 1994, Warner Bros. purchased the location, and began construction on "Warner Bros. Movie World Germany". The park had a grand opening on 29 June 1996 with 20,000 invited guests including Johannes Rau, Ernst Löchelt, August Everding, Gustava Everding, Michael Douglas, Sophia Loren, Ron Williams, Amanda Lear, David Copperfield, Claudia Schiffer, Chris O'Donnell, Hans Meiser and Heinz Hoenig as special guests. The park opened to the general public on 30 June 1996. Zeitgeist Design and Production's Ryan Harmon served as the Director of Show Development for Warner Bros. International Recreation Enterprises, where he conceived, wrote and managed the design team for Warner Bros. Movie World in Germany's worth of rides, shows and attractions. Botticelli's - Atelier der angewandten Malerei and Sanderson Group were responsible for designing and painting the theming for the park. Alan Griffith Architect and Alder Constructions were also involved in the park's development.
In later years, large investments in bigger, faster, more action-packed attractions made Warner Bros. Movie World Germany no longer a crowd puller for families, but rather in the direction of teenagers and the young at heart. Families stayed away from the park, and many thrillseekers visited it. This, along with a decline in visitor numbers, resulted in Warner Bros. Movie World Germany being acquired by StarParks, a subsidiary of Palamon Capital Partners, on 3 April 2004, which led to the park reopening as "Movie Park Germany" on 19 March 2005, and having a grand opening on 24 March 2005, with the Warner Bros. theming removed from the park and replaced by newer themes from 20th Century Fox, MGM, and Nickelodeon.
In August 2006, the two-lane roller coaster Cop Car Chase (previously Lethal Weapon Pursuit) was shut down and dismantled, as a repair would have been too expensive from an economic point of view. The vacated space was used for the new Santa Monica Pier themed area, which opened in May 2007. The area based on the Californian Santa Monica Pier also uses part of the area of the also partially dismantled, partially redesigned Downtown area (previously Marienhof). The main attraction of the area is Germany's first stationary Disk’O Coaster.
In addition, the Wonderland Studios (kids' area) was expanded with the Nickland by 15,000 m² for the 2007 season. The themed area, built in collaboration with the German television station Nick, deals exclusively with the station's characters and themed worlds. Attractions include a Suspended Family Coaster (Jimmy Neutron’s Atomic Flyer) and a water attraction (Spongebob Splash Bash). In addition, the 2007 season brought a change of motto, instead of “A day like in the film” it is now “Hurray! I'm in the film ”(until 2004 the slogan was“ Hollywood in Germany ”). With the opening of Nickland, old attractions such as Dishwasher were re-themed.
Since 2007 the sidewalks of the park have been paved. The entire Nickland, Main Street and Vine Street are now paved.
For the 2008 season, the kids' area Wonderland Studios was integrated into Nickland. For this purpose, old children's attractions have been relocated or demolished and other attractions have been redesigned. In addition, a wild water course was built on the site of the go-kart track; the latter was demolished. Another new attraction is an carousel of the model Aviator. The new area opened in May 2008. In the Roxy 4D cinema, a film about SpongeBob SquarePants was replaced by Shrek, which again was replaced for the 2012 season by Ice Age. To this end, the Roxy 4D cinema was redesigned and a new preshow was installed.
For the park's 15th birthday, on June 18, 2011, the combination of roller coaster and dark ride Van Helsing’s Factory was opened in the hall that formerly housed the Gremlins invasion and had only been used for Halloween since 2005. The roller coaster was built by the Gerstlauer company, the theme is based freely on the character of the vampire hunter Van Helsing from the 2004 film of the same name. According to the park, the roller coaster and the show "Shadows of Darkness", which uses the character of Van Helsing, are attractions that do not require a license. In addition to "Shadows of Darkness", which replaced the X-Men Show (ran in 2010 and 2011 in Studio 7), three more shows were revised for 2012.
The novelty for 2017 was announced for the 20th anniversary of the park. It is a new roller coaster from Mack Rides and is called: Star Trek: Operation Enterprise. The track is located in a completely new themed area that is devoted to Star Trek. The themed area takes up the last parts of the former Marienhof, the former film museum and the unused space between the "Alien Encounter" and "The Lost Temple". The 40-meter-high launch coaster is the second tallest structure in the park and replaces the plans for the “Air Driver” roller coaster that were rejected in 2012. The following year it was announced that the Mystery River - one of the most popular and oldest attractions in the park - will be subject to a complete thematic redesign. The main changes are the waiting area, the theming and the effects during the journey. The ride will also receive a new soundtrack from IMAscore. The course of the journey itself remains largely unchanged. In 2019, the theming of Bermuda Triangle - Alien Encounter was slightly changed, the ride was renamed and a new soundtrack from IMAscore was included.
In the building of the former dark ride Ice Age Adventure, a new roller coaster with the name Movie Park Studio Tour was built. On 23rd June 2021, this new attraction had its opening to celebrate the 25th birthday of the park.
The park is divided up into 7 areas each with their own collection of attractions.
The Hollywood Street SetEdit
- Area 51 - Top Secret – Intamin spillwater (formerly Bermuda Triangle: Alien Encounter (19 March 2005-2018), Das Bermuda Dreieck (30 June 1996-31 October 2004)). It is a replica of the previously operated Sea World ride in Australia.
- Looney Tunes 4D - Roadrunner & Wile e Coyote - A 4-D film shown at the Roxy 4D-Kino.
- The Lost Temple - Simworx Immersive Tunnel (replaced Movie Magic - Voyagers to Mars (19 March 2005-2010), Movie Magic Special Effects Stage (1996-2004))
Streets of New YorkEdit
(formerly Gotham City)
- NYC Transformer - Huss Top Spin (replaced Riddler's Revenge (1999-2004))
- Taste of New York - A expansive food court featuring regional specialties. Included eateries are Jack's Deli and NY Pizza & Pasta.
- Time Riders – Time-travel with John Cleese - Attraction Media & Entertainment Inc. simulators (replaced Batman Abenteuer - The Ride (1996-2004))
- Van Helsing's Factory - Gerstlauer Bobsled roller coaster (replaced Gremlin Invasion (1996-2004))
- Cartoon Theatre - movie theatre (1996-2002)
(formerly Wonderland Studios (2005-2006), Looney Tunes Land (1996-2004))
- Avatar Air Glider - Zamperla Giant Skychaser based on Avatar - The Last Airbender
- The Backyardigans: Mission to Mars - Vekoma Family Roller Coaster (replaced Rocket Rider Rollercoaster (2005-2007), Roadrunner Achterbahn (1996-2004))
- Barnyard Bumpers - set of Preston & Barbieri Bumper Cars (replaced Ram Jam (2005-2007), Marc Antony's Autoscooter (1996-2004))
- Dora's Big River Adventure - Zamperla Log Flume - The ride is based on the television show Dora the Explorer.
- Fairy World Spin - The Fairly OddParents - MACK Rides teacups (replaced Danny Phantom Ghost Zone (2007-2012), Dishwasher (2005-2006), Looney Tunes Tea Party (1999-2004))
- Ghost Chasers - Mack Rides wild mouse based on SpongeBob SquarePants (replaced Mad Manor (2005-2007), Tom and Jerry - Mouse in the House (1996-2004))
- Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer - Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster - the ride is based on the animated television show Jimmy Neutron
- Sea Swing - SBF Rides|SBF swing ride based on SpongeBob SquarePants
- Splat-O-Sphere - Chance Rides Aviator
- SpongeBob Splash Bash - Preston & Barbieri Splash Battle - the ride is based on the television show SpongeBob SquarePants
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (License to drive) - driving school
- Adventure Bay - PAW Patrol (New 2019)
- - Zuma’s Zoomer - Zamperla Speedway (-2018 Swiper's Sweeper)
- - PAW Patrol Adventure Tour - Zamperla Convoy
- - Zuma and Rubble theme - Children's Playground
- - Skye’s High Flyer - Zamperla Kiddie carpet (replaced Team Umizoomi Number Tumbler (2012 -2019), Teenage Robot Turnabout (2007-2012), Flying Cloud (2005-2006), The Daffy Duck Thundercloud (1996-2004))
- - PAW Patrol Meet&Greet
- Adventure Express - Zamperla Kiddie Train (2008-2012; replaced Dora's Adventure Express (2007), Wonderland Studios Steam Tour (2005-2006), Yosemite Sam Rail Road (1996-2004))
- Beetle Dance - Zamperla Turtle Parade (2005-2007; replaced Porky Pig Parade (1996-2004))
- Blue's Skidoo - SBF Rides|SBF Jet ride (-2018) - The ride is based on the television show Blue's Clues.
- Brandy Bird's Hat Dance - Mini Jet (2005-2007; replaced Tweety und Sylvester Jr. Chase (1996-2004))
- Diego's Rescue Rider (-2018) - Zamperla Jump Around
- Max Mouse Moto - Motorcycle Jump (2005-2007; replaced Taz 500 (1996-2004))
- Movie Crew Carousel (2005-2006; replaced Looney Tunes Carousel (2000-2004))
- Nick Speed Racers - go-kart track (2007; replaced Mister Valentino's Go Kart Races (2005-2006), Speedy Gonzales Go Cart Races (2003-2004), Speedy Gonzales Taxi (1996-2002))
- Robert's Rat Race - Farm Tractor (2005-2007; replaced Elmer Fudd's Tractor Race (1996-2004))
- Wonder Pets Flyboat - SBF Kiddie Freefall Tower - based on the television show Wonder Pets (2008-2018 replaced The Backyardigans Hip Hopper (2007), Maple Hopper (2006), Miss Patricia's Treehouse (2005), Tweety's Treehouse (2001-2004))*
The Old WestEdit
- Bandit – Germany's first wooden roller coaster of modern times (Based on the Coney Island roller coaster The Cyclone)
- Lucky Luke – The Ride: Die Daltons brechen aus (summer 2020) – Vekoma Suspended Looping Coaster - former MP Express
- Side Kick - Huss Frisbee (replaced Blazing Saddles (2000-31 October 2004))
- The High Fall - Intamin Tilting Gyro Drop. A clone of Acrophobia at Six Flags Over Georgia (replaced The Wild Bunch (6 April 2002-31 October 2004)).
- new interactive laser walkthrough in Studio 7 (ghost hunting theme) - opening within season 2020
- Josie's Bath House - Huss Breakdance 4 (2000-2007; dismantled in 2008)
- The Walking Dead: Breakout - all year-maze, featuring authentic sets from the TV-Show.
Santa Monica PierEdit
- Crazy Surfer - Zamperla Disk-O Coaster
- Pier Patrol - Zierer Wild Water Rondell
- Pier Side Carousel - Zierer Wave Swinger
- Rescue 112 - Zamperla Fire Brigade
- Santa Monica Wheel - SBF Ferris Wheel
- Stormy Cruise - Zamperla Rockin' Tug
- Cop Car Chase - Intamin dueling roller coaster (2005-2006; replaced Lethal Weapon Pursuit (1996-2004)))
- The Walking Dead: Breakout - all year-maze, featuring authentic sets from the TV-Show.
(formerly part of Looney Tunes Land (1996-2004))
- Excalibur - Secrets of the Dark Forest - Intamin rapid ride (replaced Mystery River (2005-2017), Unendliche Geschichte (1996-2004))
- Movie Park Studio Tour - Multi Dimension Coaster - Intamin (replaced Ice Age Adventure (2005-2016), Looney Tunes Adventure (1996-2004))
(formerly Downtown (2005-2006), Marienhof (1996-2004))
|Backyardigans: Mission to Mars||Coyote's und Roadrunner's Achterbahn (1996-2004)
Rocket Rider Rollercoaster (2005-2007)
|Junior Coaster||1996||Nickland||35 km/h (21.7 mph)|
|Bandit||Wild Wild West (1999-2004)||Wooden roller coaster||1999||The Old West||80 km/h (49.7 mph)||first German wooden coaster|
|Cop Car Chase||Lethal Weapon Pursuit (1996-2004)||Dueling Coaster||1996||2006||Marienhof / Downtown
(now: Federation Plaza)
|50 km/h (31.1 mph)||only dueling coaster in Germany|
|Ghost Chasers||Tom and Jerry's Mouse in the House (2000-2005)
Mad Manor (2005-2007)
|Wild mouse||2000||Nickland||45 km/h (28.0 mph)|
|Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer||Suspended Family Coaster||2007||Nickland|
|Lucky Luke – The Ride:
Die Daltons brechen aus
Baboo Twister Express (2020)
|Suspended Looping Coaster||2001||The Old West||80 km/h (49.7 mph)||in 2011, the roller coaster was part of the
German crime TV film
Marie Brand und die letzte Fahrt
|Movie Park Studio Tour||Indoor roller coaster /
Multi Dimension Coaster
|2021||The Hollywood Studio Set||60 km/h (37.3 mph)||Contains multimedia 360-degree
rotating platform with friction wheel
launching to the front as well as to the rear
|Star Trek: Operation Enterprise||Launched roller coaster||2017||Federation Plaza||90 km/h (55.9 mph)|
|Van Helsing's Factory||Indoor roller coaster||2011||Streets of New York||36 km/h (22.4 mph)|
|Area 51 – Top Secret||Das Bermuda-Dreieck (1996-2004)
Bermuda Triangle: Alien Encounter (2005-2018)
|Shoot the Chute||1996||Hollywood Street Set|
|Dora’s Big River Adventure||Log flume||2008||Nickland|
|Excalibur – Secrets of the Dark Forest||Unendliche Geschichte (1996-2004)
Mystery River (2005-2017)
|River rapids ride||1996||The Hollywood Studio Set|
|Ice Age Adventure||Looney Tunes Adventure (1996-2004)||Water Dark Ride||1996||2016||Wonderland Studios / Looney Tunes Land /
(now: The Hollywood Studio Set)
|SpongeBob Splash Bash||Splash Battle||2007||Nickland|
|Avatar Airglider||Giant Sky Chaser||2008||Nickland|
|Back at the Barnyard Bumpers||Bumper cars||2008||Nickland|
|Brandy Bird's Hat Dance||Tweety und Sylvester jr. Chase (1996-2004)||Carousel||1996||2007||Looney Tunes Land / Wonderland Studios
|Crazy Surfer||Disk'O||2007||Santa Monica Pier|
|Diego's Rescue Rider||Jump Around||2008||2018||Nickland|
|Dora's Adventure Express||Yosemite Sam Railroad (1996-2004)
Wonderland Studio Tour (2005-2006)
|Kids' Railway||1996||2013||Looney Tunes Land / Wonderland Studios /
|Fairy World Spin||Looney Tunes Tea Cup Ride (1996-2004)
Danny Phantom Ghost Zone (2007-2012)
|Film Studio Tour||Tram tour||1996||2007||Hollywood Street Set|
|Filmmuseum||Museum||1996||2013||Marienhof / Downtown
(now: Federation Plaza)
|NICK Speed Racers||Speedy Gonzalez Taxi (2003-2004)
Mister Valentinos Go Kart Race (2005-2006)
|Kart racing||2003||2007||Looney Tunes Land / Wonderland Studios
|Gremlins Invasion||Dark ride||1996||2005||Marienhof
(now: Streets of New York)
|Josie's Bath House||Breakdance||2000||2007||The Old West|
|Pier Patrol – Jet Ski||Carousel||2007||Santa Monica Pier|
|Movie Crew Carousel||Looney Tunes Carousel (1996-2004)||Carousel||1996||2007||Looney Tunes Land / Wonderland Studios
|N.Y.C. Transformer||Riddlers Revenge (1999-2004)||Top Spin||1999||Streets of New York|
|PAW Patrol Adventure Tour||Convoy||2019||Nickland|
|Pier Side Carousel||Marienhof Karussell (2000-2006)||Wave Swinger||2000||Santa Monica Pier|
|Ram Jam||Bumper cars||?||2007||Wonderland Studios (now: Nickland)|
|Rescue 112||Fire Brigade||2007||Santa Monica Pier|
|Robert's Rat Race||Elmer Fudd's Tractor Race (1996-2004)||Carousel||1996||2007||Looney Tunes Land / Wonderland Studios
|Santa Monica Wheel||Ferris wheel||2007||Santa Monica Pier|
|Sea Swing||Swing ride||2007||Nickland|
|Side Kick||Blazing Saddles (1999-2004)||Frisbee||1999||The Old West|
|Skyes High Flyer||The Daffy Duck Thundercloud (1996-2004)
Flying Cloud (2005-2006)
Teenage Robot Roundabout (2007-2012)
Team Umizoomi Number Tumbler (2013-2019)
|Stormy Cruise||Rockin' Tug||2003||Santa Monica Pier|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:
License to Drive
|The High Fall||The Wild Bunch (2002-2004)||Drop tower||2002||The Old West|
|The Lost Temple||4D simulator||2014||Hollywood Street Set|
|The Walking Dead: Breakout||Maze||2016||2020||The Old West|
|Time Riders||Batman Abenteuer (1996-2004)||Simulator ride||1996||Streets of New York|
|Wonder Pets Flyboat||Kids' Drop tower||2008||2018||Nickland|
|Zooma's Zoomers||Swiper's Sweeper (2007-2018)||Speedway||2007||Nickland|
- Nicktoons Character Show - Let's Party with the Nicktoons
- Meet the Moviecals Show - live show (2005-2007; replaced Bugs 'n Friends Rock'n Roll Party (2002-2004), Bugs 'n Friends Music Party (1996-2001))
- Crazy Cops New York - Action Stunt Show - a live action stunt show (replaced Crazy Cops - Action Stunt Show (2013-2016), Crazy Action Stunt Show (2005-2013), Police Academy Stunt Show (1996-2004))
- Meet the Stunt Crew
- Meet the TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Street Entertainment in several areas of the park (e.g. Western Stunt Show, Character meeting, Marilyn Monroe impersonator)
Halloween Horror FestEdit
The Halloween Horror Fest is an annual event around Halloween time that began in October 1998. It features over 250 scare actors and extra attractions like mazes and scarezones, as well as shows.
- Fear Forest (12+) (2021 to...)
- Acid Warrior (16+) (2021 to...)
- Projet Ningyo (16+) (2019 to...)
- Circus Of Freaks New version (16+) (2021 to...)
- The Slaughterhouse (16+) (2015 to ...)
- St Elmo (16+) (2020 to...)
- Hostel (18+) (2017 to...)
- Chupacabra (16+) (2020 to...)
Former mazes (1999-2020)
- Circus Of Freaks reloaded (16+) (2020 to 2020)
- Insidious 2 (16+) (2016 to 2020)
- Campout (12+) (2016 to 2020)
- Deathpital Reloaded (16+) (2014 to 2018)
- The Walking Dead Breakout (Operates the whole season, 16+)
- Wrong Turn (16+) (2018 to 2019)
- Terror Train (housed in the Gremlin Invasion show building from 2002 to 2007)
- House of Horror (housed in the Cartoon Theatre show building from 2002 to 2008)
- The Dark Goldmine (housed in the Gremlin Invasion show building from 2008 to 2010)
- Infected (Former: The Walking Dead, based on the TV show The Walking Dead, 16+)
- Baboo Twister Club (12+)
- The Forgotten (16+) (housed in the Cartoon Theatre show building from 2011 to 2014)
- Noxam Nocere (housed in the Cartoon Theatre show building from 2008 to 2009)
- City Of The Damned
- Panic Zone
- Paranormal Activity 2 (based on the 2010 motion picture; housed in the Cartoon Theatre show building in 2010)
- Knott's haunted Mountain (water ride with live scare actors. The attraction, now known as 'Bermuda Triangle: Alien Encounter', operates the whole season, but without scare actors)
During the HHF the Nickland theme area is a 'Monsterfreie Zone' (engl. 'monster free area') where children can stay at the park without being scared of the scare actors.
- "Movie Park Germany (Bottrop, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- "Movie World - wie alles begann: EURE STORIES". Freizeitparkweb. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "Zuhause auf Zeit für Batman und Bugs Bunny". Der Westen. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "August Everding Frau Gustava Bei Eröffnung Von 'Movie World' In Bottrop". Getty Images. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "German fashion model Claudia Schiffer with her mother at the opening of a theme-park in Bottrop-Kirchhellen (North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany) on 29 June 1996". Alamy. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- "Glamour Hits the Ruhr River Valley with Warner Bros. Movie World". AP News. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- "Home". Zeitgeist Design + Production. Archived from the original on 12 June 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Movie Park". Atelier Botticellis. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "WARNER BROS - Movie World - Germany". Sanderson Group. Archived from the original on 2003-03-11. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Alan Griffith Architects". Architect Gold Coast. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Inside Today:the Bat, the Bunny & The Bermuda Triangle". Parkz. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- O'Brien, Tim (18 October 1999). "Premier Purchases WB's European Parks Division". Amusement Business: 1, 32.
- "Movie Park Germany". onride.de. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "Germany's Movie World to change in 2005" (Press release). StarParks. 31 August 2004. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Movie Park Germany im neuen Gewand". Coastersandmore.de. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Parques Reunidos buys Movie Park" (Press release). Park World. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Attractions". Movie Park Germany. Retrieved 14 July 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Movie Magic - Voyagers to Mars". MoviePark-Infos.de. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- O'Brien, Tim (May 17, 1999). "New Family Rides Add Plenty Of Capacity". Amusement Business. 111 (20): 20.
- "Shows & Entertainment". Movie Park Germany. Retrieved 14 July 2010.[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Movie Park Germany.|