Lufkin Air Force Station
|Lufkin Air Force Station|
|Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)|
|Type||Air Force Station|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
|Garrison||815th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron|
Lufkin Air Force Station came into existence as part of Phase III of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. On October 20, 1953 ADC requested a third phase of twenty-five radar sites be constructed.
The 815th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was moved to Lufkin AFS on 14 February 1957. It began operating an AN/FPS-3A search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.
The Air Force inactivated Lufkin on 1 June 1961 due to budgetary constraints. The site is now home to one of the Texas state supported living centers.
Air Force units and assignmentsEdit
- Constituted as the 815th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
- Activated on 8 November 1956 at Oklahoma City AFS, OK (not equipped or manned)
- Moved to Lufkin AFS on 1 November 1957
- Discontinued and inactivated on 1 June 1961
- Cornett, Lloyd H. and Johnson, Mildred W., A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson AFB, CO (1980).
- Winkler, David F. & Webster, Julie L., Searching the Skies, The Legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program, US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories, Champaign, IL (1997).
- Information for Lufkin AFS, TX