Life's a Dance (song)
"Life's a Dance" is a debut song written by Allen Shamblin and Steve Seskin, and performed by American country music singer John Michael Montgomery. It was released on September 21, 1992, as his debut single, and was served as the lead-off single and title track from his debut album Life's a Dance. It peaked at number 4 on the U.S. Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart. It also peaked at number 3 on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks.
|"Life's a Dance"|
|Single by John Michael Montgomery|
|from the album Life's a Dance|
|Released||September 21, 1992|
|John Michael Montgomery singles chronology|
The song is a mid-tempo, in which the narrator gives the example of being too scared to ask a girl out when he was 14 years old. The girl ends up moving away and he never had the chance to ask her. The narrator goes on to refer to life as "a dance" and says that "you learn as you go".
The music video was directed by Marc Ball and premiered in late 1992. The video was filmed in Durango, Colorado and was the first time Montgomery had ever been on a plane. In 1994, he performed the song on the PBS music program Austin City Limits during Season 19.
"Life's a Dance" debuted at number 69 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of October 3, 1992.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||3|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||65|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Billboard, October 24, 1992
- Billboard, November 29, 2992
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 1025." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. February 13, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "John Michael Montgomery Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1993". RPM. December 18, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.