L.O.V.E. (Ashlee Simpson song)
|Single by Ashlee Simpson|
|from the album I Am Me|
|Released||December 6, 2005|
|Studio||Henson Recording, Hollywood, California|
|Songwriter(s)||Ashlee Simpson, Kara DioGuardi, John Shanks|
|Ashlee Simpson singles chronology|
Like all the tracks on I Am Me, "L.O.V.E." was written by Simpson, Kara DioGuardi, and John Shanks, and produced by Shanks. The song was originally supposed to be the first single from I Am Me, but "Boyfriend" took its place. "L.O.V.E." was also remixed by Missy Elliott. The remixed version reached number 1 in Singapore, while the original version peaked at number 22 in the United States. "L.O.V.E" debuted at #5 on Australian top 50 singles chart, giving Simpson her 4th top 10 single in Australia. It dropped to #7 in its second week, then #9 in its third week and has been certified Gold.
In the song, Simpson recalls her boyfriend noting that he doesn't answer the telephone, and that she doesn't even know where he goes. Annoyed, but not letting it get the best of her, she calls up her friends, and they proceed to have a party without dealing with men. Simpson has said of the song that it is "about hanging with your girlfriends and loving them for being there". She explains that "one of my girlfriends and I were listening to music and were like, there's not enough songs for your girlfriends for when you go out and leave your man behind and have a good time. Any situation I go through, I lean on my girlfriends. Like, when you get your heart broken, who do you go to? You go to your friends."
On November 21, 2005, she performed the song on the Late Show with David Letterman, and on the November 22 episode of ABC's The View. On December 6, Simpson sang "L.O.V.E." as part of a performance with Pretty Ricky at the Billboard Music Awards; the song was combined into a medley with Pretty Ricky's "Grind with Me".
Simpson sang "L.O.V.E." on the premiere episode of CD USA, which aired on January 21, and she also sang it on the January 29 episode of TEENick on Nickelodeon, on the 2006 TRL Awards on February 25, and at the MTV Australia Video Music Awards on April 12.
On November 20, 2005, Simpson filmed the music video for the song at a home in Long Island; it was directed by Diane Martel. The video for "L.O.V.E." premiered on December 7 on AOL's "First View" on the Internet, and on December 8 on MTV's Total Request Live (TRL). It features partying and dancing, as Simpson ignores her boyfriend's calls and goes out to have fun. At the beginning of the video, she decides not to answer a call from her boyfriend and tosses her phone into a toilet; at the end of the video, after Simpson is seen returning home from a long night of partying, the phone is shown again, submerged, with 21 missed messages from her boyfriend. Although dancing is the focus of the video, the director, Martel, said she was disappointed that they had not included some things they had initially intended: a scene where Simpson slashed a guy's shirt off with a samurai sword and a scene where a chainsaw was to be used to cut furniture apart. "There was a limited amount of time", Martel said.
A BBC review of I Am Me called "L.O.V.E." "the pick of the album standing out by combining the attitude of Britney's "Do Somethin" with the cheerleader beats of Gwen's "Hollaback Girl" and producing a party track that's sure to become a dancefloor filler.". Rolling Stone, which gave I Am Me a negative review, described Simpson as attempting "to channel Gwen Stefani on the faux-funkdafied 'L.O.V.E.'"
US promo CD
- "L.O.V.E." (Missy Underground Mix) 3:26
- "L.O.V.E." (Missy Underground Mix Instrumental) 3:20
- "L.O.V.E." (Missy Underground Mix Accapella) 3:15
- "L.O.V.E." (Album Version) 2:33
- "L.O.V.E." (Missy Underground Mix) Featuring Missy Elliott
- "Boyfriend" (Frantic Remix)
- "L.O.V.E." (Video)
Germany promo CD
- "L.O.V.E." (Missy Underground Mix) 3:26
|United States||December 6, 2005||Contemporary hit radio||Geffen|||
- I Am Me liner notes.
- Corey Moss, "Ashlee Says New Single Isn't Directed At Lindsay Lohan", MTV News, August 15, 2005.
- Jonathan Cohen, "Stars Descend On Vegas For BMA Rehearsals", Billboard.com, December 6, 2005.
- "Ashlee Simpson Performs On 'The Late Show' & 'The View'", Popdirt.com, November 25, 2005.
- "Ashlee Simpson Shoots 'L.O.V.E.' Video", Popdirt.com, November 25, 2005.
- "For The Record: Quick News On Ashlee Simpson, The Inc., Juelz Santana, Beyonce, Yellowcard, Seether & More", MTV News, December 7, 2005.
- TRL Archives - December 2005, Popfusion.net.
- Talia Kraines, BBC.co.uk review of I Am Me.
- Jenny Eliscu, review of I Am Me, Rolling Stone, October 20, 2005.
- "Australian-charts.com – Ashlee Simpson – L.O.V.E.". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Charts.nz – Ashlee Simpson – L.O.V.E.". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Romanian Top 100". Music & Media. Archived from the original on February 18, 2006. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- "Ashlee Simpson Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Ashlee Simpson Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Annual Chart 2006". Australian Recording Industry Association. 2006. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 - radios 2006". Mahasz. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Billboard Digital Songs 2006". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-10-31. Retrieved 2005-10-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)