He began his journalism career as a copyboy for the Chicago Tribune. Later he became a police reporter, a war correspondent in Vietnam, and a Washington correspondent. He worked for City News Bureau of Chicago, The Chicago Daily News, Pacific Stars and Stripes, and The Washington Post, as well as the Tribune. Fuller won the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing in 1986 for his Tribune editorials on constitutional issues.
During the administration of President Gerald Ford, Fuller served as Special Assistant to United States Attorney General Edward Levi.
From 1989 to 1997 he was editor and then publisher of the Chicago Tribune. From 1997 to 2005 he served as president of the Tribune Publishing Company.
He served on the Board of the University of Chicago and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
- Convergence (Doubleday; University of Chicago Press, 1982) ISBN 978-0-226-26881-1
- Fragments (William Morrow; University of Chicago Press, 1984) ISBN 978-0-226-26886-6
- Mass (William Morrow, 1985) ISBN 0-688-04685-1
- Our Fathers' Shadows (William Morrow, 1987) ISBN 0-340-39878-7
- Legends' End (Hodder & Stoughton, 1990) ISBN 0-340-50982-1
- News Values: Ideas for an Information Age. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996. ISBN 9780226268798
- Best of Jackson Payne: A Novel (Alfred Knopf; University of Chicago Press, 2000) ISBN 978-0-226-26868-2
- Abbeville (Unbridled Books, 2008) ISBN 978-1-932961-47-8
- What Is Happening to News: The Information Explosion and the Crisis in Journalism. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2010. ISBN 9780226268989 — Read an excerpt.
- Levi, Edward H. Restoring Justice: The Speeches of Attorney General Edward H. Levi Edited by Jack Fuller. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2013. ISBN 9780226041315
- Biography at the Inventory of the Jack Fuller Papers, 1951-2005 Archived 2011-06-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "Editorial Writing". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "WINNERS OF PULITZER PRIZES IN JOURNALISM, LETTERS AND THE ARTS". The New York Times. April 18, 1986. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Editor of The Chicago Tribune Quits His Job". The New York Times. December 9, 1989. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Promotions at Tribune Co". The New York Times. July 31, 1993. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Jack Fuller, ex-Tribune editor and publisher, dies at 69". Chicago Tribune. June 21, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2016.