History (European TV channel)
History (known as Sky History in the UK and Ireland) is a European general entertainment television channel which broadcasts programs related to reality programming, historical events and persons.
|Broadcast area||Arab world, Balkans, Benelux, Central Europe & Eastern Europe, France, Iberian Peninsula, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Scandinavia, South Africa, United Kingdom|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Timeshift service||History +1 (as Sky History +1 in the UK)|
|Owner||A+E Networks UK (A&E Networks/Sky Group)|
|Launched||11 November 1995|
|Former names||The History Channel (1995–2008) |
History (2008–2020, UK & Ireland)
It is a joint venture between A&E Networks UK and Sky Group with localized channels across Europe. TVT Media is responsible for signal distribution in Europe, with local subsidiaries of A&E Networks as distribution representatives on the continent.
Programming across the channels is primarily in English and where available subtitled or dubbed into regional languages. The channel is available through a number of satellite, cable, terrestrial and IPTV distributors across Europe, the Middle East and South Africa. In some countries, advertisements and announcements between programs are localized.
History has separate versions for Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal:
- History Germany: Operated by A&E Networks Germany.
- History Italy: Formerly a joint venture of A&E Networks and Fox International Channels Italy, it became a sole venture of A&E Networks in 2012.
- History Netherlands, airing in the Netherlands and Flanders. Operated by A&E Networks Benelux.
- Canal Historia (also known as História): The History Channel Iberia joint venture of A&E Networks and AMC Networks International Southern Europe.
- History Poland - launched on April 9, 2008.
Sky History UK and IrelandEdit
History Channel UK began on 11 November 1995 as a weekday three-hour block (4 to 7 pm), consisting of Biography (restyled for a British audience), History Alive and Our Century. The channel was A&E's first international venture.
Sky Sports 2 began broadcasting all day in 1997, requiring other networks to move to another channel. The History Channel shared transponder 24 with Sky Soap and the Sci-Fi Channel. The launch of Sky Digital allowed the channel to significantly increase its broadcast hours.
On 26 October 2006, History Channel HD launched in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The HD version was launching across Europe from October 2007, beginning in the Nordic region on 13 December 2007, offering a schedule separate from the standard-definition version. In January 2008, History Channel HD launched in the Netherlands. In November 2008 the History Channel was re-branded as History, and the high-definition channel became History HD.
The company behind the channel was known as The History Channel (UK) Limited until July 2009, when it was renamed AETN UK to reflect the company's several channels. On 22 September 2011, AETN UK was re-branded A&E Networks UK. The channel launched on British Telecom on 15 August 2013, and on TalkTalk on 28 August 2014.
On 27 May 2020, History, History +1 and History 2 were renamed Sky History, Sky History +1, and Sky History 2 respectively, alongside the launch of Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature. The networks will retain strong ties with AETN, and the network's logos will retain the network's insignia, being co-marketed with Sky. The network also took a new channel position formerly held by E!.
The History Channel began in Scandinavia in September 1997, broadcasting for three hours daily on the analogue Viasat platform. Initially time-sharing with TV1000 Cinema, it was later moved to the Swedish TV8 channel until November 2004 (when Viasat launched Viasat History).
History Netherlands and FlandersEdit
RTL Nederland (now Ad Alliance) became responsible for advertising sales on 1 January 2016. On 15 January 2021 Belgian provider Telenet moved the channel from their premium packages to the basic subscription. One day later, their subsidiary SBS Belgium announced they would handle Belgian advertising sales for the channel starting 1 February 2021.
In German-speaking countries, History is operated by History Channel Germany, which was a joint venture of A&E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany. The channel began as the History Channel on 15 November 2004, and changed its name to History on 11 January 2009. Since 1 June 2017 the channel is fully owned by A&E Networks Germany.
History is available on the Kabel Deutschland, Kabel BW-Unitymedia, Primacom and KabelKiosk cable networks in all German states, and is also available on cable in Austria and Switzerland. Although the channel was available on satellite on Arena, it was not available on Premiere until the latter was renamed Sky on 4 July 2009. At that time, History HD (a high-definition version of the channel) was introduced. The channel hosts the annual History Award, which has been given since 2005.
History Channel Iberia (Spain and Portugal)Edit
Since 1996, History has been distributed under the name Canal de Historia—and, more recently, História—in Spain and Portugal by AMC Networks International Southern Europe in a joint venture with A&E Networks (owner of History). The channel has Spanish and Portuguese feeds with dubbed English programs and locally produced programming.
História is available in Spain on Movistar+, cable networks (Telecable, R, Euskaltel), IPTV providers (Vodafone, Orange TV) and streaming media (TotalChannel). Historia HD became available in Spain on 3 November 2015. In Portugal, História is available through cable providers (NOS, Cabovisão) and IPTV (MEO, Vodafone).
Spanish locally produced programmingEdit
- Arqueólogo Por Un Día (2015), where a local celebrity spends a day working with archaeologists on an excavation
- La Última Cena (2014–2015)
Portuguese local-history programmingEdit
- Combatentes do Ultramar (2003), dedicated to the Portuguese Colonial War
- A Última Ceia (2014–2015)
- "History Channel UK Appoints Chello Zone As Distribution Representative". 4rfv.co.uk. 6 February 2008.
- "Global Content Services Powerhouse". TVT Media.
- Roxborough, Scott (6 November 2018). "Disney's Fox Deal Gets European Union Clearance Subject to Divestments". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "A & E Television Networks History". International Directory of Company Histories. 32. St. James Press. 2000. Retrieved 4 December 2013 – via Funding Universe.com.
- "Report from the Sat-UK mailing list: Report #98".
- Jarco Kriek (17 October 2007). "A&E Television Network breidt uit in Europa". Totaal TV.
- "THE HISTORY CHANNEL HD TO LAUNCH IN SCANDINAVIA" (Press release). AETN International. 8 October 2007. Archived from the original on 19 February 2012.
- Robert Briel (14 November 2007). "History Channel HD to launch in Holland". Broadband TV News.
- Wilkes, Neil (19 November 2008). "History Channel rebranded 'History'". Digital Spy.
- Jan-Hein Visser (19 December 2008). "History Channel heet nu History". Totaal TV.
- "The History Channel UK Changes Name to AETN UK". AETN International. 2 July 2009. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011.
- "AETN UK rebrands as A+E Networks UK". Broadband TV News. 22 September 2011.
- "Launch of Sky Documentaries, Sky Nature and Sky HISTORY". Sky Group Newsroom. 16 April 2020. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "A+E's History channel to be rebranded Sky History". Digital TV Europe. 20 February 2020.
- "Sky History". Sky Group. 20 February 2020.
- "Sky_Factual_Channels_Press_Pack_08.1.pdf" (PDF). Sky Group Newsroom. Sky. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Robert Briel (5 April 2007). "History Channel komt naar de Benelux". Broadband TV News.
- Robert Briel (5 April 2007). "UPC digital met vier nieuwe kanalen". Broadband TV News.
- Robert Briel (3 December 2015). "RTL Netherlands to handle A+E ad sales". BroadbandTVNews.com.
- "SBS breidt zijn zenderportfolio uit met The HISTORY Channel" (in Dutch). SBS Belgium. 19 January 2021.
- "The History Channel ab Januar in neuem Gewand". Digital Fernsehen. 19 December 2008.
- "A+E Buys Out NBCUniversal From Its German Channels". Variety.com. 1 June 2017.
- "The History Channel Iberia". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Historia: Dónde vernos". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Historia: Historia HD". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Canal História: Dónde vernos". Archived from the original on 20 August 2013. Retrieved 10 November 2015.