Grand Forks Air Defense Sector
The Grand Forks Air Defense Sector (GFADS) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the Air Defense Command 29th Air Division, being stationed at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. It was inactivated on 1 December 1963
|Grand Forks Air Defense Sector|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
Established in December 1957 assuming control of former ADC Central Air Defense Force units with a mission to provide air defense of most of North Dakota along with western Minnesota and northern South Dakota. The organization provided command and control over several aircraft and radar squadrons.
On 15 November 1959, the new Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-11) became operational. DC-11 was equipped with dual AN/FSQ-7 Computers. The day-to-day operations of the command was to train and maintain tactical flying units flying jet interceptor aircraft (F-94 Starfire; F-102 Delta Dagger; F-106 Delta Dart) in a state of readiness with training missions and series of exercises with SAC and other units simulating interceptions of incoming enemy aircraft.
- Established as Grand Forks Air Defense Sector on 8 December 1957
- Inactivated on 1 December 1963
- 478th Fighter Wing (Air Defense)
- Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota, 1 February 1961-1 July 1963
- 478th Fighter Group (Air Defense)
- Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota, 1 April 1959-1 February 1961
- Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota, 1 July-4 September 1963
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- Radomes.org Grand Forks Air Defense Sector