He was educated at Harvard University and from 1958 until 1964 he worked as a reporter and cartoonist for The Patriot Ledger. He was also the editorial cartoonist for the Memphis Commercial Appeal (1971 -1976) and the Detroit News.
- Cartoon and Caricature from Hogarth to Hoffnung (1962).
- Mr. Gillray: The Caricaturist, A Biography (1965).
- Fashionable Contrasts: Caricatures by James Gillray (1966).
- The Satirical Etchings of James Gillray (1976).
- (with John Adler), Doomed by Cartoon: How Cartoonist Thomas Nast and the New York Times Brought Down Boss Tweed and His Ring of Thieves (2008).
- 'L. Draper Hill, editorial cartoonist with Ledger roots, dies', The Patriot Ledger (May 18, 2009).