|Picture format||16:9 576i SDTV|
|Timeshift service||Discovery History +1|
|Sister channels||Animal Planet|
|Launched||1 October 1998|
|Former names||Discovery Civilisation (1999-2006)|
Discovery Civilization (2006-2007)
Discovery Knowledge (2007-2010)
|Virgin Media||Channel 257 |
Channel 261 (+1)
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 212|
|Sky||Channel 177 |
Channel 277 (+1)
|Eir Vision||Channel 535|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere Ireland||Watch live (Ireland only)|
The channel was initially known as the Discovery Civilisation Channel, later dropping 'Channel' from the name, and was devoted to documentaries regarding history and civilizations, historic, ancient or present, launched on Sky Digital on 1 October 1998. On 1 November 2007, Discovery Civilisation was re-branded as Discovery Knowledge, by Heavenly. The new channel was still focused on history and natural history, but the schedule now included programming on engineering, crime and technology.
After just over three years, on 7 November 2010, Discovery Knowledge was rebranded as Discovery History. The idea behind this rebranding was to take the channel's focus back to becoming "the only UK channel dedicated to factual history", to counter the fact that its competitors History and Yesterday had begun showing more reality and scripted programming, respectively.
- Boehm, Erich (19 August 1998). "Discovery unveils digital TV nets". Variety. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Discovery launches Knowledge channel". Digital Spy. 20 September 2007.
- "Discovery Knowledge". Heavenly. Archived from the original on 14 September 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "Discovery to launch dedicated history channel". Media Week. 7 October 2010.
- "AETN loses High Court battle with Discovery". Broadcast. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Discovery Channel UK
- Discovery History presentation in The Ident Gallery
- Discovery Knowledge presentation on TVARK