Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
This article needs to be updated.(January 2020)
The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, formerly the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, is one of the select committees of the British House of Commons, established in 1997. It oversees the operations of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport which replaced the Department for Culture, Media and Sport which also replaced the Department for National Heritage. The name was last changed on 3 July 2017.
As of September 2020, the membership of the committee is as follows:
Occasionally, the House of Commons orders changes to be made in terms of membership of select committees, as proposed by the Committee of Selection. Such changes up to January 2013 are shown below.
Chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Select CommitteeEdit
|Julian Knight||Conservative||Solihull||29 January 2020||Elected by the House of Commons|
|Damian Collins||Conservative||Folkestone and Hythe||12 July 2017||Elected by the House of Commons|
|Previously as Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee|
|Damian Collins||Conservative||Folkestone and Hythe||19 October 2016||Elected by the House of Commons|
|Jesse Norman||Conservative||Hereford and South Herefordshire||17 June 2015||Elected by the House of Commons|
(Maldon and East Chelmsford 1997–2010)
|11 July 2005||Elected by the Select Committee|
(and the House of Commons in 2010)
|Gerald Kaufman||Labour||Manchester Gorton||14 July 1997||Elected by the Select Committee|
|Previously as National Heritage Select Committee|
|Gerald Kaufman||Labour||Manchester Gorton||27 April 1992||Elected by the Select Committee|
From June 2010 chairs of select committees have been directly elected by a secret ballot of the whole House of Commons using the alternative vote system. Candidates with the fewest votes are eliminated and their votes redistributed until one remaining candidate has more than half of valid votes. Elections are held at the beginning of a parliament or in the event of a vacancy.
|12 July 2017|
|19 October 2016|
|17 June 2015|
|Candidate||1st round||2nd round||3rd round||4th round|
|9 June 2010|
- "CRole - Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee". UK Parliament. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee - Membership - Committees - UK Parliament". committees.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-06.
- "Speaker's Statement: Select Committee Chairs - Wednesday 29 January 2020 - Hansard - UK Parliament". hansard.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2021-04-12.
- "ELECTION FOR CHAIRS OF SELECT COMMITTEES: RESULT" (PDF). www.parliament.uk. 12 July 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2021.
- [dead link]
- "Results" (PDF). www.parliament.uk. 2015. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "John Whittingdale MP, Maldon". TheyWorkForYou.
- "House of Commons - Culture, Media and Sport - First Special Report". publications.parliament.uk.
- "Standing Orders of the House of Commons". publications.parliament.uk.
- Gorb, Aleksandra; Priddy, Sarah (February 20, 2021). "Chairs of Commons select committees in the 2019 Parliament" – via commonslibrary.parliament.uk. Cite journal requires
- "Results" (PDF). www.parliament.uk. 2017. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "Results" (PDF). www.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2021-04-23.