Cinema of Rajasthan
The cinema of Rajasthan refers to films produced in Rajasthan in north-western India. These films are produced in various regional and tribal languages including Rajasthani varieties such as Mewari, Marwari, Hadoti etc.
|South Asian cinema|
|Part of a series on|
The first Rajasthani movie was Nazrana, a Marwari film directed by G. P. Kapoor and released in 1942. Babasa Ri Ladli, produced by B. K. Adarsh, was released in 1961 and has been described as the first hit Rajasthani movie.
The 1983 film Mhari Pyri Channana by producer and director Jatinkumar Agarrwal was the first Silver jubilee film in Rajasthani.
Between 1987 and 1995 a number of Rajasthani films were produced, including the musical Bai Chali Sasariye from 1988, which was reported to be the only successful Rajasthani-language film production in the 1980s and 1990s.
Film producers in Rajasthani cinema include B. K. Adarsh, Ram Raj Nahta, Bharat Nahta, Bhanu Prakash Rathi, and Ajai Chowdhary, and directors include Nawal Mathur of Jodhpur, Mohan Singh Rathor, Mohan Kataria, Ajit Singh, and Bhanu Prakash Rathi. Neelu Vaghela, Gajendra S. Shrotriya, and Jatinkumar Agarrwal have been both producers and directors.
To encourage the production of Rajasthani movies, a tax holiday for cinemas in towns and cities with fewer than 100,000 inhabitants was announced in the 2008 budget of the Rajasthani Government, and the entertainment tax was lowered.
- Rajadhyaksha, Ashish; Willemen, Paul (10 July 2014). "1942". Encyclopedia of Indian Cinema. p. 1869. ISBN 9781135943257. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- Rajadhyaksha, Ashish; Willemen, Paul (10 July 2014). "Babasa Ri Ladli". Encyclopedia of Indian Cinema. p. 1994. ISBN 9781135943257. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- Sharma, Anil (1 October 2005). "The lights dim on Rajasthan film industry". indiaglitz.com. Indiaglitz. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- Regional film industry in Rajasthan in peril, screenindia.com 27 June 2008, archived version retrieved 8 September 2014
- Boomtime for Rajasthan cinema, Screen India 28 March 2008, archived version retrieved 7 Sep 2014