Cinema of Cyprus
Cypriot cinema refers to the cinema of Cyprus, which was born much later than the cinema of most other countries.
|Cinema of Cyprus|
|No. of screens||30 (2011)|
|• Per capita||2.9 per 100,000 (2011)|
|Main distributors||Four Stars Films 40.7%|
Odeon Cyprus 23.3%
|Produced feature films (2011)|
|Number of admissions (2011)|
|• Per capita||1 (2012)|
|Gross box office (2011)|
In the late 1960s and early 1970s, George Filis produced and directed Gregoris Afxentiou, Etsi Prodothike i Kypros, and The Mega Document. In 1994, Cypriot film production received a boost with the establishment of the Cinema Advisory Committee. In 2000, the annual amount set aside for filmmaking in the national budget was CYP£500,000 (about €850,000). In addition to government grants, Cypriot co-productions are eligible for funding from the Council of Europe's Eurimages Fund, which finances European film co-productions. To date, four feature films on which a Cypriot was an executive producer have received funding from Eurimages. The first was I Sphagi tou Kokora (1996), followed by Hellados (unreleased), To Tama (1999), and O Dromos gia tin Ithaki (2000).
In 2018, Marios Piperides received critical reviews at Sarajevo Film Festival and Tribeca Film Festival, with Smuggling Hendrix. Also well-received in that year was Pause, by debut director Tonia Mishiali. The most renowned Cypriot director to date is Michael Cacoyannis with the renowned Zorba the Greek.
- Cinema of the world
- World cinema
- Cyprus International Film Festival
- Culture of Cyprus
- Culture of Greece
- Culture of Turkey
- List of Greek actors
- List of Turkish actors
- Cinema of Greece
- Cinema of Turkey
- List of Cypriot films
- History of Cyprus
- Peter Polycarpou
- Derviş Zaim
- Michael Cacoyannis
- Nicolas Economou
- "Table 8: Cinema Infrastructure - Capacity". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 24 December 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 6: Share of Top 3 distributors (Excel)". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 24 December 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 1: Feature Film Production - Genre/Method of Shooting". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 24 December 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Country Profiles". Europa Cinemas. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "Table 11: Exhibition - Admissions & Gross Box Office (GBO)". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 25 December 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Film Birth – History of Cinema – Cyprus Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine".
- "Smuggling Hendrix (2018)
- "Variety: Film Review: 'Smuggling Hendrix'
- "CineEuropa: Smuggling Hendrix
- Franklin, Anna. "FNE at KVIFF 2018: Film in Cyprus is Blossoming - FilmNewEurope.com". www.filmneweurope.com.