Cartoon Network (Pakistani TV channel)
Cartoon Network is a Pakistani cable and satellite television channel operated by WarnerMedia Entertainment Networks Asia Pacific which primarily shows animated programming from Cartoon Network Studios and Warner Bros. Animation. It officially launched on 2 April 2004 dedicated for Pakistani and Bangladeshi viewers. The programming lineup was initially similar to the Indian feed, which is not the case now.
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Owner||WarnerMedia Entertainment Networks Asia Pacific|
|Sister channels||CNN International|
|Launched||2 April 2004|
|SUN (Pakistan)||Channel 21|
|Bengal Digital (Bangladesh)||Channel 435|
|Akash DTH (Bangladesh)||Channel 452|
|PTCL Smart TV (Pakistan)||Channel 45|
Cartoon Network Pakistan was launched on 2nd April 2004 Broadcasting To Pakistani And Bangladeshi viewers.
On October 1, 2011 Cartoon Network Pakistan changed its logo along with other Cartoon Network feeds in Asia Pacific. The channel also premiered The Amazing World of Gumball on the same day.
- Pogo TV
- Pogo block was restarted in January 2021 and only airs Grizzy and the Lemmings. The block was previously aired in 2008 and ended in 2013 featuring more shows. This block is taken from Indian channel Pogo (TV channel).
- Rise and Shine
- Rise and Shine was a one-hour morning block which is aimed at the preschool kids and Shows in this block were Sesame Street and Oswald.
- Cookie Jar
- Cookie Jar was a one-hour evening block that includes many Cartoon Cartoons and classical series like Tom and Jerry Tales, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Richie Rich (1980 series). This block was later ended in favor of Thundercats series.
- Candy Land
- This block was started on 16 March 2009 and replaced Tom & Jerry Cat & Mouse Full House. Candy Land is a one-hour evening block that features Tom & Jerry, followed by Ben 10I alien force. The block has now ended.
- Boomerang featured classical series like The All New Popeye show, Johnny Bravo, The Jetsons, and The Tom and Jerry Show (1975 series),power puff girls,make way for noddy,dexters laboratry and Bob the builder It was also launched as an attempt to re-showcase the old Hanna-Barbera creations which had been put off the air due to the incoming of new, more popular cartoons like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Teen Titans. But due to no success, it was put off the air and re-launched with more popular shows like Johnny Bravo. This block has been replaced by the Pogo block.
- Toonami was an action-themed programming block similar to its counterpart in the United States. The block ran from 2004 to 2013.
- Sunny Funny Afternoons
- Sunny Funny Afternoons is a one-hour afternoon block on Cartoon Network Pakistan that was debuted on 31 January 2016 and consisted of Oggy and the Cockroaches and Teen Titans Go!. On 5 February 2017 Oggy and the Cockroaches was replaced by We Bare Bears.
- Laughternoons is a two-hour afternoon block on Cartoon Network Pakistan. It debuted on 6 June 2016. This block originally started with Oggy and the Cockroaches, Clarence, Mr Bean: The Animated Series and Uncle Grandpa. Later Oggy and the Cockroaches, Clarence and Uncle Grandpa were replaced by Tom and Jerry Tales, Horrid Henry and Mr Bean: The Animated Series (revival series). The Tom and Jerry Show was later added to this block and on 5 February 2017 Horrid Henry was replaced by The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Breakfast Club
- Breakfast Club was started on 7 May 2016. It includes Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball and The Tom and Jerry Show. On 9 October 2016 Steven Universe, Ben 10 (reboot series) were added to this block. On 4 February 2017 The Powerpuff Girls was added to the block.
- It's All About Action
- It's All About Action is a one-hour late night block which debuted on 4 March 2016. Although the promo shows scenes from Ben 10: Alien Force and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, it is only showing Ben 10: Omniverse episodes. The block was stopped in January 2021.
Started from January 2020, this weekend block features 2 shows (one on Saturday and one on Sunday). Shows featured on the block include Running Man, Total Dramarama, Monster Beach and Ben 10 reboot. Shows featured on the block get changed nearly every month. The block was stopped in January 2021.
Criticism and controversy
In 2005, Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority issued an order regarding the ban of several non-private channels because they were airing programmes in Hindi that were dubbed in India. Later, Cartoon Network switched to English versions on the Pemra's instructions but the mixed so-called Hindustani feed of the channel was back after a few months.
In early 2010, PEMRA again issued a notice against the non-private channels, which resulted in a complete ban of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network's Pakistan feed. Once again, the issue was the Hindi dubbed shows on its schedule line up and the Government's demand for a private kids' channel affiliated with PTV instead. The ban stayed and was not lifted till the end of July 2011.
On 1 August, an announcement was made by the Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Firdous Ashiq Awan. She said "Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, have been granted permission to air programmes in Pakistan." But at the closure, she expressed her interest in a private TV channel once again and said, "The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority will accommodate private TV channel if someone wished to launch channel for children."
- "Pakistans very own Cartoon Network". Defence.pk. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Leading kids channel 'Cartoon Network' launched in Pakistan". Pakistan Times. 6 November 2004. Archived from the original on 11 June 2008. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "It's a Fun Thing! Only on Cartoon Network - AsiaNet-Pakistan". asianetpakistan.com. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- "PAKISTAN: Operators slam Pemra move to ban channels, UCLA International Institute". International.ucla.edu. 22 December 2005. Archived from the original on 20 February 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Two foreign channels for kids get Pakistan's nod – Thaindian News". Thaindian.com. 2 August 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2014.