Cape Makkovik Air Station
Cape Makkovik Air Station (ADC ID: N-28A) was a General Surveillance Gap Filler Radar station in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, It was located 140 miles (230 km) north-northeast of CFB Goose Bay. It was closed in 1961.
|Cape Makkovik Air Station|
|Part of Pinetree Line|
|Controlled by||Aerospace Defense Command|
|Built by||United States Air Force|
The site was established in 1957 as a manned Gap Filler radar station, built by the United States Air Force, under operational control of Hopedale Air Station and part of Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.
The station was assigned to Aerospace Defense Command in 1957, and was given designation "N-28A" (later "C-28A)." Aerospace Defense Command stationed the 923d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at the station in 1957. It operated an AN/FPS-14 manned Gap Filler search radar.
USAF units and assignmentsEdit
- Activated as 923d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at Grenier AFB, New Hampshire, 13 June 1953
- Moved to Hopedale Air Station, 1 October 1953
- Inactivated 1961.
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
- Information for Cape Makkovik AS, NL