909 Chestnut Street
909 Chestnut (formerly One SBC Center , One Bell Center ,and One AT&T Center) is a 44-story building in downtown St. Louis, Missouri at 909 Chestnut Street on the Gateway Mall. It is Missouri's largest building by area with 1,400,000 square feet (130,000 m2). The building is currently completely vacant and was acquired by new ownership in 2019.
|Former names||One AT&T Center|
One Bell Center
Southwestern Bell Telephone Building
|Location||909 Chestnut Street|
St. Louis, Missouri
|Owner||Inland Real Estate Group|
|Roof||179 m (587 ft)|
|Floor area||1,400,000 sq ft (130,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum|
The building was built to replace the Southwestern Bell Building as the Southwestern Bell world headquarters. However, in a series of mergers the headquarters moved to San Antonio, Texas and was later renamed AT&T.
At one point, 4,800 AT&T employees worked in the building but that number has dropped through layoffs, outsourcing and telecommuting to approximately 2,000. In September 2013, AT&T announced they would vacate the building over the next 12 months, although their lease on the building runs through 2017.
Since AT&T vacated the building in 2017, it has remained the largest vacant office building in the state of Missouri. Multiple attempts of selling the building in auctions have failed on at least five separate occasions, most recently in early 2021.
- 909 Chestnut Street at Emporis
- "909 Chestnut Street". SkyscraperPage.
- 909 Chestnut Street at Structurae
- One AT&T Center on sale block - bizjournals.com - September 1, 2006
- "New owner for former AT&T building in downtown St. Louis". FOX2now.com. 2019-05-15. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- One AT&T Center bought by Chicago firm for $205 million - bizjournals.com - December 29, 2006
- AT&T to vacate downtown St. Louis high-rise next year - September 12, 2013