64th Air Division
The 64th Air Division (64th AD) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with Air Defense Command, being stationed at Stewart Air Force Base, New York. It was inactivated on 1 July 1963.
|64th Air Division|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Command of air defense forces|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
|Motto(s)||Mors Semper Tyrannus Latin "Death Always to Tyrants" (World War II)|
|Engagements||Mediterranean Theater of Operations|
European Theater of Operations
|Carroll W. McColpin|
|64th Air Division emblem (Approved 8 August 1952)|
|64th Fighter Wing emblem (World War II)|
World War IIEdit
By February 1943, it was clear that no German aircraft were heading to attack the East Coast, and the organization was realigned to become a command and control organization for Twelfth Air Force, engaged in combat as part of the North African Campaign. "The wing moved to North Africa in February 1943 and supported combat operations with a warning and control system, and, occasionally, augmenting the operations section of the XII Air Support Command in the Tunisian campaign."
"During the Sicilian and Italian campaigns (1943–1944), it administered fighter and fighter-bomber support to ground forces in a wide range of operations that included cover patrols, battle-area patrols, invasion coverage, escort missions, dive bombing missions, and reconnaissance. In Italy, the 64th directed close air support operations against enemy objectives in advance of Allied troops. Its primary targets included enemy gun positions, road junctions, traffic concentrations, assembly areas, bridges, and targets of opportunity."
"In August 1944 during the invasion of southern France, wing personnel, applying techniques developed in the invasion of Sicily and Italy, controlled air operations while aboard ships patrolling the assault beaches. With the landing of troops, a beachhead control unit directed aircraft to hit enemy strong points, ammunition dumps, troop concentrations, road intersections, supply lines, and communications. As Allied forces advanced northward along the Rhone valley, the wing implemented a plan to give more rapid support to the ground troops. Forward control units, equipped with the latest in air ground communications, directed sector air ground support. During the operations in France and Germany (1944–1945), the 64th continued to coordinate the close air-ground support of its fighter aircraft."
After the end of hostilities in May 1945, the wing served in the occupation of Germany as part of the XII Tactical Air Command, United States Air Forces in Europe. In Occupied Germany the wing performed many occupation duties such as destroying captured enemy aircraft, repairing roads, bridges and processing Prisoners of War. It also commanded combat units which were inactivating and sending their aircraft to storage, disposal or return to the United States. It was inactivated in Germany on 5 June 1947.
Reactivated as an Air Division under Northeast Air Command (NEAC) at Pepperrell Air Force Base, Newfoundland in December 1952. NEAC had taken over the former Newfoundland Base Command atmospheric forces and ground air and radar stations in Newfoundland, Northeastern Canada and Greenland upon the former command's inactivation. The 64th Air Division was NEAC's command and control echelon of command over these assets.
"Its mission was the administration, training and providing air defense combat ready forces within its designated geographic area of responsibility, exercising command jurisdiction over its assigned units, installations, and facilities. In addition, the division and its subordinate units under its control participated in numerous exercises. NEAC was inactivated in April 1957, and its air defense mission was reassigned to Air Defense Command (ADC).
The 64th continued its operations under ADC at Pepperrell including the operational control of the Distant Early Warning Line (DEW Line) and Air Forces Iceland. In January 1960, it activated the Goose Air Defense Sector (Manual) at Goose Air Force Base. On 26 May 1960, the division headquarters moved from Newfoundland to Stewart Air Force Base, New York, when part of its mission was taken over by the 26th Air Division (SAGE) in a realignment of forces.
At Stewart it assumed the mission of training and providing air defense combat ready forces for the aerospace defense of a 6,000,000 square miles (16,000,000 km2) region of North America, including New Jersey, New York, New England north of Massachusetts, Eastern Canada, and atmospheric forces in Greenland.
- Established as the 3d Air Defense Wing on 12 December 1942
- Activated on 12 December 1942
- Redesignated 64th Fighter Wing on 24 July 1943
- Inactivated on 5 June 1947
- Redesignated 64th Air Division (Defense) on 17 March 1952
- Activated on 8 April 1952
- Inactivated on 20 December 1952
- Organized on 20 December 1952
- Discontinued, and inactivated, on 1 July 1963
- I Fighter Command, 12 December 1942-c. 7 February 1943
- Army Service Forces, Port of Embarkation, c. 7 February 1943
- XII Fighter Command, 22 February 1943
- XII Air Support Command (later XII Tactical Air Command), 9 March 1943 – 5 June 1947 (attached to First Tactical Air Force (Provisional), 27 November 1944 – May 1945)
- Northeast Air Command, 8 April 1952
- Air Defense Command, 1 April 1957 – 1 July 1963
World War IIEdit
- 14th Liaison Squadron: 10 July 1946 – 1 May 1947
- 47th Liaison Squadron: 4 March 1946 – 1 May 1947
- 111th Reconnaissance Squadron: attached June – September 1943
- 155th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron: 1 August – 24 November 1945
- 415th Night Fighter Squadron: Attached c. 3 September – 5 December 1943, assigned 5 December 1943 – 15 February 1946
- 416th Night Fighter Squadron: 15 August – 9 November 1946
- 417th Night Fighter Squadron: 24 March – 17 May 1945; 26 June 1945 – 9 November 1946
- Keflavik Airport, Iceland, 1 July 1962 – 1 July 1963
- Goose Air Force Base, Newfoundland, 1 April 1960 – 1 July 1963
- 4601st Support Wing, 1 October 1960 – 1 July 1963
- Paramus, New Jersey
- 4602d Support Wing, 1 January 1961 – 1 July 1963
- 4683d Air Defense Wing, 1 July 1960 – 1 July 1963
- Thule Air Base, Greenland
- 4737th Air Base Wing (see 6604th Air Base Group)
- 6604th Air Base Wing (see 6604th Air Base Group)
- 6605th Air Base Wing (see 6602d Air Base Group)
- 6606th Air Base Wing (see 6603d Air Base Group)
- 6607th Air Base Wing (see 6612th Air Base Group)
- Aircraft are Convair F-102A-75-CO Delta Daggers Serials 56-1368, 56-1360, 56-1361. 1361 was retired and sent to the Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center 2 June 1971; 1368 is now on static display at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, Oregon
- "Factsheet 64 Air Division (Defense)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. 5 October 2007. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- The simultaneous inactivation and organization on 20 December 1952 represents a change between a Table of Organization and aTable of Distribution unit.
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946 – 1980 (PDF). Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- Winkler, David F.; Webster, Julie L. (1997). Searching the skies: The legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN 97020912..
- "ADCOM's Fighter Interceptor Squadrons". The Interceptor. Aerospace Defense Command. 21 (1): 5–11, 26–31, 40–45, 54–59. January 1979.