4730th Air Defense Group
The 4730th Air Defense Group is a discontinued United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the New York Air Defense Sector at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, where it was discontinued in 1959.
|4730th Air Defense Group
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
|Patch with the 4730th Air Defense Group emblem|
The group was formed to provide a single command and support organization for the two fighter interceptor squadrons of Air Defense Command that were tenants at McGuire, a Military Air Transport Service base. It was also assigned a squadron to perform aircraft maintenance. The 4730th was discontinued when the 332d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron moved in 1959, leaving only a single fighter squadron at McGuire.
The 4730th Air Defense Group was established to provide a headquarters for the two Air Defense Command (ADC) Fighter-Interceptor Squadrons (FIS) stationed at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, a Military Air Transport Service (MATS) base. MATS' 1611th Air Base Group acted as host base organization for McGuire. The group was assigned the 332d and 539th Fighter-Interceptor Squadrons (FIS), flying radar equipped and Mighty Mouse rocket armed North American F-86D Sabre aircraft as its operational components. Some of the Sabres were F-86Ls, which were equipped with a data link for interception control through the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment system. The group mission was to train and maintain tactical flying units to defend the Mid-Atlantic United States. The two fighter squadrons were already stationed at McGuire and had been assigned to the New York Air Defense Sector.
Maintenance for the two squadrons was provided by the 601st Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron (CAMS), which was activated at McGuire along with the rest of the group. The 332d FIS converted to Convair F-102 Delta Dagger aircraft in July 1957, while the 539th FIS retained its F-86s until the Spring of 1959, when it converted to Convair F-106 Delta Darts.
The group was discontinued shortly after the 332d FIS departed for England Air Force Base, Louisiana, leaving only a single operational ADC squadron at McGuire. The 601st CAMS was inactivated with the group, while the 539th FIS was assigned directly to the New York Air Defense Sector.
- Designated as the 4730th Air Defense Group and organized on 8 February 1957
- 332d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 8 February 1957 – 10 July 1959
- 539th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 8 February 1957 – 1 August 1959
- 601st Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 8 February 1957 – 1 August 1959
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 89
- Mueller, p. 413
- Mueller, p.411
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 127
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 131
- Maurer, p. 410
- Maurer, p.646
- Cornett & Johnson, p.142
- "Abstract, History 4730 Air Defense Group Jan–Dec 1958". Air Force History Index. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Abstract, History 4730 Air Defense Group Jan–Jun 1959". Air Force History Index. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946–1980 (PDF). Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- Mueller, Robert (1989). Air Force Bases, Vol. I, Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 17 September 1982 (PDF). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-53-6.
- Leonard, Barry (2009). History of Strategic Air and Ballistic Missile Defense (PDF). Vol II, 1955–1972. Fort McNair, DC: Center for Military History. ISBN 978-1-4379-2131-1.