2009 MTV Movie Awards
|2009 MTV Movie Awards|
|Date||Sunday, May 31, 2009|
|Location||Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City, California|
|Hosted by||Andy Samberg|
|Produced by||Mark Burnett|
|Directed by||Joe DeMaio|
- Anna Faris and Chris Pine — presented Breakthrough Female
- Michael Bay and Megan Fox — introduced an exclusive Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen sneak preview
- Shia LaBeouf — presented Best Fight
- Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Justin Bartha, and Taraji P. Henson — introduced Eminem
- Jonah Hill and Vanessa Hudgens — presented Breakthrough Male
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Bruno Gehard — presented Best Male Performance
- Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson — introduced an exclusive Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince sneak preview
- Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds — presented Best Kiss
- Big Pak and Hayden Panettiere — presented Best WTF Moment
- Leighton Meester and Lil' Wayne — presented Best Song From a Movie
- Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and Taylor Lautner — introduced an exclusive The Twilight Saga: New Moon sneak preview
- Kiefer Sutherland, Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, and Zac Efron — presented the MTV Generation Award
- Cameron Diaz, Sofia Vassilieva, and Abigail Breslin — presented Best Female Performance
- Sienna Miller and Channing Tatum — introduced Kings of Leon
- Danny McBride and Will Ferrell — presented Best Comedic Performance
- Denzel Washington — presented Best Movie
|Best Male Performance||Best Female Performance|
|Breakthrough Performance – Male||Breakthrough Performance – Female|
|Best Villain||Best Comedic Performance|
|Best Song from a Movie||Best Kiss|
|Best Fight||Best WTF Moment|
- Brüno, a flamboyant gay character played by Sacha Baron Cohen, staged a stunt with Eminem in which he was "flying" overhead in the theatre toward the stage to present the award for Best Male Performance. Baron Cohen was dressed as an angel, and he was wearing only a jockstrap underneath his costume. In mid-flight, he was lowered upside-down from the rafters after an apparent problem with his wire harness. This caused him to land directly on top of Eminem in such a way that Baron Cohen's fully exposed buttocks area was positioned directly in Eminem's face. An apparently incensed Eminem angrily shouted "You serious?" and "Are you fuckin' serious?!" and then "Get this motherfucker off me!", demanding that his bodyguards and members of D12 remove Baron Cohen from atop him. After they aggressively shoved Baron Cohen away while he was still suspended in the air, Eminem and his entourage stormed out of the theater immediately. Baron Cohen then announced the winner of the Best Male Performance award (Zac Efron for High School Musical 3: Senior Year) while still hanging from harness wires above the audience. Eminem and Baron Cohen later claimed the event was staged and had been rehearsed extensively. Eminem claimed that after he "stormed" out of the theatre he went back to his hotel room and "laughed uncontrollably for about three hours". However, while the prank is widely accepted as being staged - at least on Baron Cohen's part - commentators have questioned as to how much (if at all) Eminem truly was in on the joke.
- Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker in The Dark Knight earned the actor a posthumous award for Best Villain.
- Kiefer Sutherland jokingly broke down in tears while presenting the MTV Generation Award to Ben Stiller.
- Bare-Butt 'Bruno' Lands on Eminem at Movie Awards
- Ditzian, Eric (May 31, 2009). "Brüno Lands On Eminem During Awkward MTV Movie Awards Moment". MTV News. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Kreps, Daniel (June 4, 2009). "Eminem "Laughed for Three Hours" After Staged Bruno Stunt". Rolling Stone. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Swash, Rosie (June 3, 2009). "So was Eminem in on the joke?". The Guardian. Retrieved February 20, 2021.
- Marshall, Rick (May 31, 2009). "Heath Ledger Wins 'Best Villain' At 2009 MTV Movie Awards For 'The Dark Knight' Performance". MTV News. Retrieved February 29, 2020.